No announcement yet.

These 17 Patches Effectively Put Intel Mesa Done With OpenGL 4.4 & 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks plonoma for your comment. Very informative. I will do as you suggest, delay everything until I learn proper C/C++ and wait for the new generation of graphics hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFonewn View Post
      Thanks plonoma for your comment. Very informative. I will do as you suggest, delay everything until I learn proper C/C++ and wait for the new generation of graphics hardware.
      I will suggest to you to delay until you know what you need

for example a year ago I bought a new computer with the cheapest CPU I found, an A4-4000 for 30€, with the idea to buy a discrete GPU in the future

then I found that the integrated GPU was very powerful and comes with opensource drivers, allowing me to run, through wine, many heavy games 5-10 years old (with low settings)

but only after some time, I discovered that this GPU was based on the old radeon technology, not the GCN, so drivers gets little less updates (but may be they are more stable)

also now I would buy a faster CPU (to compensate the wine overhead and mesa performances penalties) with higher memory bandwidth (that is crucial to the integrated GPU) to run latest 3d games too (or the older ones with higher setting)

to sum up, once you start to understand the inner workings of your computer, you will able to judge if the hardware meets your requirements

Comment

trek
        Are you suggesting he should definitely wait for the HBM2 and HMC GPU's and APU's?
        (Would be a good choice, the huge performance difference is worth waiting for.)
        Also by next year (2017) AMD's Zen will make a huge difference in the CPU landscape.
        Last edited by plonoma; 08 July 2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          Simply because it's not in GL3.txt.
          Yes, I'm aware of where the website grabs its data from. I was more wondering who pulled that section out after they put it in.

Comment

trek plonoma completely agree.

It is just that sometimes I get too excited seeing what people I follow on twitter is doing with 3D, WebGL and OpenGL (not so much Vulkan yet), and it is hard to wait. But on the other hand there is not sense in buying them before I know more. Right now I am hard reviewing all my maths from the very basic (it was very weak already) geometry, trigonometry, combinatorics (I have been always weak here), Linear Algebra and Calculus (which I estimate willl finish all of this by the end of the summer).

Question: How important is to go strong on Discrete Math? As far as I know they are the base knowledge for Algorithms, and I intend to be a good programmer. Should I go hard on them (both Discrete Math and Algorithms)?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
              Yes, I'm aware of where the website grabs its data from. I was more wondering who pulled that section out after they put it in.
              There's a patch on the mailing list, here, to add extensions not part of any OpenGL release (which includes the ARB 2015 extensions) to GL3.txt. Hopefully it'll be committed sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFonewn View Post
                Question: How important is to go strong on Discrete Math? As far as I know they are the base knowledge for Algorithms, and I intend to be a good programmer. Should I go hard on them (both Discrete Math and Algorithms)?
                I'm currently learning C from Casey Muratori's Handmade Hero as well as a bunch of folk in the Handmade.Network. It'll probably be a while before I'm doing 3D stuff, but for a little teaser of the kind of stuff we have to look forward to there, you could check out Shawn McGrath's (frankly awesome) Intro to Quaternions talk.

Comment

Miblo thansk for the info. It looks really interesting. I am going to check it in more depth.
                  Last edited by AlexFonewn; 15 July 2016, 02:30 PM. Reason: more complete answer.

Comment

Working...
                  X