These 17 Patches Effectively Put Intel Mesa Done With OpenGL 4.4 & 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=dungeon;n883098]

I don't put pressure on anything, just followed what had been said...

It wasn't against you, it was mainly against potential trolls

Comment

These 17 Patches Effectively Put Intel Mesa Done With OpenGL 4.4 & 4.5 no more than three previous iterations of these patches have done it already. i.e. they do not put intel mesa anywhere, they are not committed yet

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
        I want opengl 4.x on Haswell series = (
        I don't think it's gonna happen watching Intel's history of only updating newest products. My old laptop stopped at opengl 2.1 so soon.
        It's gonna happen. Igalia's actively working on that.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

I would not get your hopes up on these patches. The last time you announced that a major feature was completed by Timothy was Arrays of Arrays. And it was almost exactly 6 months between your first announcement and the patches actually getting committed.
          Last edited by SaucyJack; 07 July 2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
            I want opengl 4.x on Haswell series = (
            I don't think it's gonna happen watching Intel's history of only updating newest products.
            Oh, it's gonna happen. Igalia has started posting patches to the mailing list that will eventually lead to fp64/va64. Stencil texturing code is also already written, it just needs to be posted to the mailing list. Then the enhanced layout patches mentioned in this article, and *bam*, OpenGL 4.5 on Haswell! That's more than Windows (it's 4.3 there)!

Comment

Why doesn't MesaMatrix not track the "2015 ARB Extensions"?
              (They did for like, a week at most when the extensions were first announced, I beleive)

Comment

Hello, being myself a noob in terms of programming, but studying hard Linux and soon C/C++. What would be the best (and cheap) equipment to learn OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan on Linux.

A) Now with this news of today a NUC-like computer with a Core i5-5257U (Iris Graphics 6100) would work for OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan?

B) Or should I go for a modest computer with a A10-7850K/70K/90K?

C) Or should I go for any CPU and a RX480? BTW: what CPU would you recommend?

My purpose is to primarily learn/study.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFonewn View Post
                  Hello, being myself a noob in terms of programming, but studying hard Linux and soon C/C++. What would be the best (and cheap) equipment to learn OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan on Linux.

A) Now with this news of today a NUC-like computer with a Core i5-5257U (Iris Graphics 6100) would work for OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan?

B) Or should I go for a modest computer with a A10-7850K/70K/90K?

C) Or should I go for any CPU and a RX480? BTW: what CPU would you recommend?

My purpose is to primarily learn/study.
                  For testing and learning having an integrated GPU and a discrete GPU would be most useful.
                  Intel does not have any discrete GPU, thus a system with Intel iGPU and an AMD or Nvidia dGPU would be a good choice.
                  I would also hold off on buying a new computer.
                  If you are going to learn C/C++ there is a lot to go through.
                  This will take time and C/C++ itself is about the CPU, you don't yet need a GPU to learn C/C++.
                  And later at the end of this year or the beginning of next year (2017) there will be new GPU's.
                  These new GPU's will come (I hope) with some very interesting new features allowing you to explore new and other programming and rendering techniques.
                  (AMD Navi and Nvidia's Volta)
                  This way you will be able to learn and experiment with most of the new Vulkan/OpenGL4.5+/DirectX12 features with hardware support(I hope). Features including fragment shader interlock(Get it in your next GPU's AMD), AZDO rendering techniques(Get it in your next GPU's Intel), VXGI (Voxel Global Illumination), async shaders(Get it in your next GPU's Nvidia) and more.
                  And if you want to explore interesting new rendering techniques.
                  I would recommend learning about upcoming techniques such as the Enlighten technique used by geomerics.

Or experimenting with using Nvidia's Optix in real-time rendering experiments for getting more light bounches calculated efficiently in real-time:
                  developer.nvidia.com/optix

blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/05/06/pascal-vrworks/
                  https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/0...ascal-vrworks/
                  Last edited by plonoma; 08 July 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
                    I would not get your hopes up on these patches. The last time you announced that a major feature was completed by Timothy was Arrays of Arrays. And it was almost exactly 6 months between your first announcement and the patches actually getting committed.
                    Arrays of Arrays was difficult to get reviewed because it basically touched every corner of glsl which meant getting reviews off a bunch of different people familiar with each different component.

These patches on the other hand are mainly just held up due to two patches in particular, with those patches given the ok BDW+ could be enabled. The rest of the patches are mostly all new (as of V4) and enable support on older hardware, I don't see anything controversial in those. I'm just waiting on alternative suggestions for the two patches in question after that we should be able to move forward with this.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                      Why doesn't MesaMatrix not track the "2015 ARB Extensions"?
                      (They did for like, a week at most when the extensions were first announced, I beleive)
                      Simply because it's not in GL3.txt.

Comment

Working...
                      X