Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension Might Soon Be Done For Radeon Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Slightly OT, but i'm eager to hear some news about a possible Mesa/Vulkan branch and some progress in that area.
    Does anybody know something about that?

I venture to say with vulkan OGL4.5 support is much less interesting than let's say one year ago since there is no software i know about which requires more than ogl 4.3.
    Games will provide vulkan support before there is a significant amount of games demanding ogl 4.5!

mesa 11.3 with ogl 4.5 would be nice though XD
    There is a (Intel) vulkan branch https://cgit.freedesktop.org/cgit/?url=mesa/mesa/. I can imagine AMD adding their vulkan driver too at some point.

Comment

It's important for Mesa to be up to date. If Mesa doesn't support 4.4 and 4.5 then developers can't test their software with those extension in Mesa. Then there'll be problems when Mesa does finally implement the extensions and suddenly there'll be complaints about "bugs because people are developing only for Nvidia drivers" In any case, the argument that no games use 4.4/4.5 is somewhat circular

Comment

Remaining GL extensions:

all drivers
        4.3 robust_buffer_access_behavior (not started)
        4.4 enhanced_layouts (patches are out, needs lots of review)
        4.5 ES3_1_compatibility (in progress - needs some ES extensions but they're mostly just different entry points to existing code/features)
        4.5 cull_distance (some patches a year ago, no followup yet)

intel
        4.0/4.2 fp64 (patches are done, needs lots of review)
        4.4 texture_stencil8
        4.4 query_buffer_object

nvc0
        4.2/4.3 image _load_store and _size
        4.3 fbo no attachments (patches out)

radeonsi
        4.2 atomic counters (patches out)
        4.3 shader_storage_buffer_object (patches out)
        4.3 compute shaders (in progress)
        4.4 clear_texture
        4.4 query_buffer_object

r600
        4.0/4.2 fp64 softfloat
        4.2 atomic counters
        4.2/4.3 image _load_store and _size
        4.3 compute shader
        4.3 ssbo
        4.4 clear_texture
        4.4 query_buffer_object
        Last edited by smitty3268; 29 March 2016, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          radeonsi pretty much only lacks Compute Shaders (probably a lot of work, not sure if or since when they've been working on it)
          done for clover https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/
          note missing image stuff should be from recently finished image exts

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Remaining GL extensions:

4.5 cull_distance (not started)
            I'm not sure why you keep saying this is not started. There are patches on the list with feedback: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/084968.html

It shouldn't be to hard to fix up the series.

Comment

Speaking of Mesa/Vulkan - keep in mind that the back-end of Gallium3D and Vulkan are more or less at the same level (sometime even lower for Vulkan), i.e.: pretty low-level exposing of the hardware.
              A "Vulkan state tracker for Mesa" doesn't make much sense, there's no really a state to track. The only thing making sense would be a "translation library", but as they are not exactly super-posable, that not what is going to happen.
              Currently Vulkan and Gallium backends don't exactly expose the same kind of functionnality (Gallium also takes care about thing that an actual API might require, but aren't much necessary as vulkan game engines do their own management themselves)

The current idea of an approach would be using a new generation of backend, using an extented API that covers not only Vulkan, but the aditionnal bits needed to have an OpenGL state tracker running on it.
              (in the discussion on mailing list, it's nick-named "Germanium" if you want to google)

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post

I'm not sure why you keep saying this is not started. There are patches on the list with feedback: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/084968.html

It shouldn't be to hard to fix up the series.
                Ah, that's easy - I didn't see those patches on the list. They're almost a year old now with, i presume, no followup, so that explains why.

But sure - in progress it is.

Thank you.

Edit: By the way, I don't claim to be an authoritative source or anything. I'm just trying to simplify gl3.txt with what I've picked up from the mailing list so that people can quickly see what's left. Feel free to correct any other errors I've made.

Best of luck getting those enhanced layout patches reviewed. Seems like no one wants to touch them with a 10ft pole.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 29 March 2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X