Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension Might Soon Be Done For Radeon Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension Might Soon Be Done For Radeon Gallium3D

Phoronix: Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension Might Soon Be Done For Radeon Gallium3D

Patches are out for yet another OpenGL 4 extension that may soon be supported by the Gallium3D drivers as another item to mark off the list for OpenGL 4.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beautiful, it's like these driver teams are competing with each other to see who finishes OpenGL 4.x support first.

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
      Beautiful, it's like these driver teams are competing with each other to see who finishes OpenGL 4.x support first.
      They would be inhuman to not to be influenced at least a bit. but it's good competition, nouveau and radeon terms often do stuff for other driver too if it's 'easy' or possible by just wiring stuff that already exist.

Comment

I think there's a lot of stuff almost ready to be merged:

GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters has patched on the list for radeonsi
        GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object also in the same patch series for radeonsi
        GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments mentioned in the article
        GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts has patches on the list

That doesn't leave a lot to do

Depending on how much work has to be done on the robustness extensions maybe GL4.5 could be reached by the next Mesa release or the one after

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
          it certainly is not the case with this extension

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Depending on how much work has to be done on the robustness extensions maybe GL4.5 could be reached by the next Mesa release or the one after
            Slightly OT, but i'm eager to hear some news about a possible Mesa/Vulkan branch and some progress in that area.
            Does anybody know something about that?

I venture to say with vulkan OGL4.5 support is much less interesting than let's say one year ago since there is no software i know about which requires more than ogl 4.3.
            Games will provide vulkan support before there is a significant amount of games demanding ogl 4.5!

mesa 11.3 with ogl 4.5 would be nice though XD

Comment

Robustness aside, when those are merged, radeonsi pretty much only lacks Compute Shaders (probably a lot of work, not sure if or since when they've been working on it), Query Buffers (somewhat relevant, but there's already a Gallium driver supporting it), Clear Texture (which looks like a rather trivial extension, but it might not be on the driver's side), and Cull Distance, which is currently WIP in Core Mesa.

As for Robustness, is there any use for it besides implementing WebGL on top of OpenGL? I mean, games wouldn't really want it since it can actually make things slower.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Robustness aside, when those are merged, radeonsi pretty much only lacks Compute Shaders (probably a lot of work, not sure if or since when they've been working on it), Query Buffers (somewhat relevant, but there's already a Gallium driver supporting it), Clear Texture (which looks like a rather trivial extension, but it might not be on the driver's side), and Cull Distance, which is currently WIP in Core Mesa.

As for Robustness, is there any use for it besides implementing WebGL on top of OpenGL? I mean, games wouldn't really want it since it can actually make things slower.

I think the person who's listed as working on Cull Distance, announced that they won't have time to complete it - I'm not sure if someone else has picked it up or not

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Slightly OT, but i'm eager to hear some news about a possible Mesa/Vulkan branch and some progress in that area.
                  Does anybody know something about that?

I venture to say with vulkan OGL4.5 support is much less interesting than let's say one year ago since there is no software i know about which requires more than ogl 4.3.
                  Games will provide vulkan support before there is a significant amount of games demanding ogl 4.5!

mesa 11.3 with ogl 4.5 would be nice though XD
                  OGL 4.5 is not that interesting, but it is not that devs aren't interested in it neither. However, yeah, if/when Mesa hits 4.3, it really will be reached 'holy grail' of OpenGL versions, because 4.3 brings compute shaders, which many games requires these days. I haven't heard lot of games utilizing 4.4 or 4.5 features, true, but they are deemed as something very positive, so I expect Mesa team won't stop at 4.3 (although I expect some devs will refocus on performance of 4.0 - 4.3).

As for Vulkan - AMD Vulkan driver will be open sourced, so there's really little benefits of doing that within Mesa project.

Comment

I don't think anything used GL 4.4 or GL 4.5 core profiles but I think there are something out there that use 4.4 & 4.5 extensions and I'm pretty sure they're the ones that have been implemented already

Comment

Working...
                    X