No announcement yet.

You Can Get Vulkan Now... In Wearable Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, because open means "having to mess around with hundreds of inputs that are sometimes of questionable quality".

*facepalm*

Comment

I find the t-shirt amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Yeah, because open means "having to mess around with hundreds of inputs that are sometimes of questionable quality".

*facepalm*
        Just take a look at the Firefox Bugzilla Bugsystem, some entries are so polluted with non-technical polemic entries that working on the bug is a pain in the a**.
        Anyway, the system at Khronos is as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebs View Post
          Well, no one really said that there is an NDA, since I don't know if there is, I was just teasing a bit...
          Generally those under NDA are not allowed to say there is an NDA, so there is no point about discussing this further.

As for Vulkan development, if anyone really wanted to be part of it, he could afaik become a Khronos Member and do so.
          Khronos was never about complete open development, but it is also not about permanently closed doors either, if you really want to walk through the doors, it is possible.
          Perhaps it is even better to have focused and dedicated people who can work (for a limited time) on Vulkan without having to mess around with hundreds of inputs that are sometimes of questionable quality. IMHO it is more important that the result is an open API.

In the last sentence is mentioned open API, but I'm not sure what it means in that context. Does it mean something like "Able to be independently implemented", or something like "Not obfuscated" ?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I do sort of agree with you, but in this sense open doesn't mean the same thing. For example a good chunk of opengl was specified by nvidia. That doesn't mean it was developed openly, it just means that Kronos was willing to adopt specifications that nvidia and other companies made.

EDIT: I always interpreted it like this, when they say open, they mean that any member of the group can contribute specifications to it. Even though it's closed development they allow any group member to contribute.
            Open in regards to khronos specs has always referred to the fact that anyone is able to join khronos and contribute. If they pay for membership. It has never meant that it was open to anyone on the internet with a keyboard.

Comment

Clickbait like this is why I feel no guilt/shame over using ABP on this site.

Comment

Not sure on the big deal about the title. "in wearable form" obviously doesn't mean the API itself. Now if that part wasn't visible, then I can see more reason for outrage.

Comment

I don't think anybody older than 10 would want to wear such a shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    Not sure on the big deal about the title. "in wearable form" obviously doesn't mean the API itself.
                    The headline would lead one to believe that some sort of wearable device was using Vulkan...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

The headline would lead one to believe that some sort of wearable device was using Vulkan...
                      Ah; yeah that didn't even cross my mind when I first saw the title, but I guess that's a fair point.

Comment

Working...
                      X