No announcement yet.

You Can Get Vulkan Now... In Wearable Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not be open about the release process? They are treating this like the APA does with the DSM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      By later in the year I take it you mean next week?
      I wrote, later this year, not next week.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I wrote, later this year, not next week.
        Beeing under NDA can be a bitch
        Anyway, Siggraph is not far away and there WILL be news about Vulkan, whatever they may be...

Comment

It needs to come soon: http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/...oad-available/

Comment

Has anyone started working on Vulkan or SPIR-V for Linux yet?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Valve has Dota2 running on Vulkan internally. They showed it in March using a custom driver on Intel HD graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This has been covered in multiple Phoronix articles now about the Intel Linux Vulkan driver, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't understand why there would be an NDA for an Open Specification like Vulkan or OpenGL.
                  In fact, the thing is supposed to be open so people can review and comment.

Announcing a planned release date is also part of being open.

Also, I don't support the process for Vulkan development because it was all done behind closed doors.
                  Last edited by sdeschenes; 07 August 2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post
                    I don't understand why there would be an NDA for an Open Specification like Vulkan or OpenGL.

Also, I don't support the process for Vulkan development because it was all done behind closed doors.
                    I do sort of agree with you, but in this sense open doesn't mean the same thing. For example a good chunk of opengl was specified by nvidia. That doesn't mean it was developed openly, it just means that Kronos was willing to adopt specifications that nvidia and other companies made.

EDIT: I always interpreted it like this, when they say open, they mean that any member of the group can contribute specifications to it. Even though it's closed development they allow any group member to contribute.
                    Last edited by duby229; 07 August 2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post

Well, no one really said that there is an NDA, since I don't know if there is, I was just teasing a bit...
                      Generally those under NDA are not allowed to say there is an NDA, so there is no point about discussing this further.

As for Vulkan development, if anyone really wanted to be part of it, he could afaik become a Khronos Member and do so.
                      Khronos was never about complete open development, but it is also not about permanently closed doors either, if you really want to walk through the doors, it is possible.
                      Perhaps it is even better to have focused and dedicated people who can work (for a limited time) on Vulkan without having to mess around with hundreds of inputs that are sometimes of questionable quality. IMHO it is more important that the result is an open API.

Comment

Working...
                      X