Wine Developers Are Still Working On Direct3D 10/11 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    But it's so fancy to have native Direct3D on Linux! There must be any use of this!
    Nine is there only because of performance reasons posibile on gallium drivers... FreeBSD switched to Clang not because of performance reasons

True is always in between reality, posibility and politics

Comment

@Kemosabe

Nine does NOT work with Catalyst - it works only with Gallium based mesa drivers, that means no Intel (at least not the default one), only radeon and nouveau and other future ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @Kemosabe

Nine does NOT work with Catalyst - it works only with Gallium based mesa drivers, that means no Intel (at least not the default one), only radeon and nouveau and other future ones...
        I meant nvidia blob users don't have that bad performance and therefore - like s?dinger says - there must be an issue with MESA/opengl and catalyst. Latter has huge performance drops which can be compensated by using MESA/Nine on the same hardware.

Comment

Of course you can change between Catalyst and mesa all the time, i even have got the infrastructure in place (gfxdetect) to do that with grub. But i see definitely no reason at all to use amd gfx if you use a desktop system where you can replace the gfx. It is just a very ugly workaround, no driver can handle all games with amd...

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
            Until GalliumNine is made to work with other platforms and hardware/drivers, it's too much trouble for too few people in Wine.
            This is mostly Nvidia's and Intel's fault. Intel for some reasons skipped over Gallium with their drivers, and Nvidia is just Nvidia.
            I don't think DOSBox supports D3D yet, so Wine is still the go-to choice for old Windows games which aren't yet fixed for new versions of Windows on GOG.
            The problem is that you're going to run Windows games on a smart phone. It can be done but painfully. Especially games like Warcraft where you need a keyboard and mouse constantly, and 99% of smart phones don't have a physical qwerty keyboard.

Of course you can change between Catalyst and mesa all the time, i even have got the infrastructure in place (gfxdetect) to do that with grub. But i see definitely no reason at all to use amd gfx if you use a desktop system where you can replace the gfx. It is just a very ugly workaround, no driver can handle all games with amd...
            I have a few systems to test Linux.

Compaq CQ62 <-- Daily driver running Mint 17.1 with Radeon HD 6370.
            HP DV7 <-- Backup laptop with Mint 17.1 and Geforce 9600M GT
            Old Athlon X4 desktop <-- Also running Mint 17.1 and I swap between a Radeon HD 6750 and Geforce 620 GT

Once you have Nvidia graphics binary drivers it's not perfect. For max performance yes you would use Nvidia but omg the drivers are a pain to install. I literally have to openssh just to finish the driver installation. But AMD you just use Oibaf's PPA and you're done. No issues with games or performance. It's not as fast and Nvidia but it works so well. I can update the kernel anytime I want without worry about breaking the graphic drivers with AMD.

Just to point out that my DV7 does run Nouveau. I could use Nvidia legacy drivers but no. I have a XPS M1710 withGeForce Go 7900 GTX with Mint as well, but I have to use Nvidia legacy 304 drivers. Nouveau is too broken on that laptop. It's broken in general but that's still Nvidia's fault.

Comment

I wonder why the above posters even consider Dosbox as a viable alternative to wine. Dosbox is an emulator unlike wine, so it will incur a considerable performance penalty even in the best-case scenario. Even running Windows 3.1 is not trivial and flawless on Dosbox at this time.

The way I see it, more and more patches will be added to wine-staging (which is not related to wine devs in any way, correct me if I'm wrong) until it becomes a de-facto standard for the majority of distros and the core wine will have to either evolve or die out eventually.

Comment

@Dukenukemx

Is it my fault that you don't use Kanotix? You can get a special iso, select gfxdetect and have binary active from the beginning - and you can switch gfxcards as often as you like on hd. You should not compare your experience with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                  I wonder why the above posters even consider Dosbox as a viable alternative to wine. Dosbox is an emulator unlike wine, so it will incur a considerable performance penalty even in the best-case scenario. Even running Windows 3.1 is not trivial and flawless on Dosbox at this time.

The way I see it, more and more patches will be added to wine-staging (which is not related to wine devs in any way, correct me if I'm wrong) until it becomes a de-facto standard for the majority of distros and the core wine will have to either evolve or die out eventually.
                  That was a response to the complaint Wine doesn't run *really* old games properly. Imo it shouldn't, Wine is better as a Windows-like only thing. Even 16bit games Imo are already such a cornercase for it that should go with alternatives

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    That was a response to the complaint Wine doesn't run *really* old games properly. Imo it shouldn't, Wine is better as a Windows-like only thing. Even 16bit games Imo are already such a cornercase for it that should go with alternatives
                    Thank you for clarification. With that I wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

@Dukenukemx

Is it my fault that you don't use Kanotix? You can get a special iso, select gfxdetect and have binary active from the beginning - and you can switch gfxcards as often as you like on hd. You should not compare your experience with others.
                      So what you're saying we should all use Kanotix instead of Ubuntu/Mint because you don't have to deal with Nvidia driver installation problems? Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that Nvidia should be helping Nouveau like AMD does with Gallium. Intel does as well, but they just bypass Gallium for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X