X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    I can explain you this.

Linux maybe does only have 1,X % of the desktop marketshare
    But phoronix alone do have 10% marketshare of all computer tech websites. And all other sites the 90% are windows only websites.

So in fact phoronix alone can make a company look bad for
    10% of the tech users.

Means if something is not on phoronix about linux it just does not exist for the companies
    That is probably pretty accurate. I follow a LOT of tech websites, but phoronix is the only one I have pinned 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      That is probably pretty accurate. I follow a LOT of tech websites, but phoronix is the only one I have pinned 24/7.
      Heh, me too. I need to get around to renewing my subscription.

Although, to the post 2 above this one, I'm not sure that 10% is quite true. Although I'm sure that Phoronix readership is closer to that among developers and whatnot than with the general population.

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
        Heh, me too. I need to get around to renewing my subscription.

Although, to the post 2 above this one, I'm not sure that 10% is quite true. Although I'm sure that Phoronix readership is closer to that among developers and whatnot than with the general population.
        Phoronix doesn't have that much content that's developer-specific though - most of it seems geared towards power users who know what things like Qt, Wayland, systemd, etc. are, and understand what the implications of changes in them are.

Comment

mantle support ?

Any chance we have mantle support under linux ?
          I run Civ BE under win7 for now, and mantle seems to saves a lot of CPU usage.

My q9550 runs around 20% in mantle mode vs around 30% in DirectX mode.

Comment

Originally posted by jery View Post
            Any chance we have mantle support under linux ?
            Not in the near future and i doubt that we see it in the far distance. For this, Mantle is to deep involved with D3D.

Comment

OpenGL Next will offer an API that provides low-level abstraction to the GPU hardware. However, an OpenGL Next specification is likely a couple years away and then years longer for an open source implementation to start materializing. Hopefully by the time of initial specification release, Mesa and all the major FOSS drivers will be caught up to OpenGL 4.5.

This isn't to say that OpenGL 4.x games cannot be developed with reduced overhead in mind but alot of it has to do with how efficient the implementation of OpenGL is in the driver stack. Right now the proprietary drivers have the most efficient implementations, hence the better driver performance in most scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Not in the near future and i doubt that we see it in the far distance. For this, Mantle is to deep involved with D3D.
                I'd totally prefer day one FOSS OpenGL Next implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  I'd totally prefer day one FOSS OpenGL Next implementation.
                  Me2 but i guess that Khronos do the same shit with OpenGL next like with OpenGL and OpenGL ES. They have to be much much more strict about the quality and behavior of the Implementations. A SDK would also be helpful ...

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
                    Although, to the post 2 above this one, I'm not sure that 10% is quite true.
                    These are the numbers from 3 years ago... i think today it is even higher.
                    But the number do not matter the only fact matters is that no tech company
                    can ignore phoronix...

So if you want a feature do not ask the company ask Michael from phoronix...

Maybe he write a nice article about the absence of Mantle on Linux.

Try it out maybe we get Mantle or OpenGL NextGeneration faster.

Comment

Originally posted by bountykiller View Post
                      I find quite strange that Aspyr Media wrote this post before(apparently) trying to get help from AMD and/or INTEL.
                      That's "trolling for resources".

When you don't want to spend your own resources on something but don't feel like asking for help you publically conjure up a "end of the world" type scenario and wait for someone to be annoyed enough to prove you wrong.

Problem solved: you get someone else to take care of your problem and you can even spin it into you helping them.

Very unprofessional, but not uncommon.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X