Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.4 Brings Performance Improvements & New Features

Phoronix: Mesa 10.4 Brings Performance Improvements & New Features

Mesa 10.4 is being released as soon as next week and continuing in usual tradition this new version brings a lot of exciting changes for users of the open-source Linux hardware graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah Mesa 10.4 is shaping up quite nicely. I'll probably switch to 10.4 Stable from 10.5-Git for awhile, until new big-ticket items land into the git release.

I'm not sure everyone realizes that with Direct3D 9 support, native Linux games could theoretically be developed with Direct3D instead of OpenGL, not just used for games with a patched Wine. However, I doubt we'll see that happen because DirectX 9 and it's Direct3D are becoming obsolote and virtually no new games are being developed with it as opposed to DirectX 11, so it doesn't make sense to develop new Linux games around an obsolete graphics API, especialy since only open-source Radeon and Nvidia drivers support it at this time. Once Mesa and the various open-source drivers reach OpenGL 4.x compliance, hopefully we'll see Wine kickstart Direct3D 10/11 development again for it's Direct3D 10/11 to OpenGL 4.x translation and then in-turn maybe see the Direct3D 11 state tracker get revived in Gallium3D in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Yeah Mesa 10.4 is shaping up quite nicely. I'll probably switch to 10.4 Stable from 10.5-Git for awhile, until new big-ticket items land into the git release.

I'm not sure everyone realizes that with Direct3D 9 support, native Linux games could theoretically be developed with Direct3D instead of OpenGL, not just used for games with a patched Wine. However, I doubt we'll see that happen because DirectX 9 and it's Direct3D are becoming obsolote and virtually no new games are being developed with it as opposed to DirectX 11, so it doesn't make sense to develop new Linux games around an obsolete graphics API, especialy since only open-source Radeon and Nvidia drivers support it at this time. Once Mesa and the various open-source drivers reach OpenGL 4.x compliance, hopefully we'll see Wine kickstart Direct3D 10/11 development again for it's Direct3D 10/11 to OpenGL 4.x translation and then in-turn maybe see the Direct3D 11 state tracker get revived in Gallium3D in the future.
      How exactly can a 14.04 user "switch" to 10.4 Stable apart from downloading/compiling it? I've long sought after a PPA that provides stable updates to Mesa, not git trunk Mesa builds.

Comment

Does this new VA-API State Tracker (or the VDPAU) works now with XBMC/Kodi and a pre HD4k Card? Or to be more Accurate with a Mobile HD3650 or HD3850 or HD4200 IPG (The first and the last are the Important for me)?

Comment

Originally posted by triune View Post
          How exactly can a 14.04 user "switch" to 10.4 Stable apart from downloading/compiling it? I've long sought after a PPA that provides stable updates to Mesa, not git trunk Mesa builds.
          You can always switch to rolling release distro like Arch and enjoy latest and greatest software by default (plus absolutely amazing AUR)

I'm not developer, sysadmin or even advanced Linux user, yet I'm sporting my first Arch install for over a month now without a single issue. All it takes is to follow the wiki to the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by triune View Post
            Not sure how its done in Ubuntu but I wouldn't be suprised if a LTS Mesa PPA appears. I use Archbang (Archlinux), which is a rolling release distro that always has the latest stable packages, but git versions of Mesa, FOSS drivers, and the LLVM compiler stack can be grabbed from source AUR or 3rd party binary repositories and switching between the two is as easy as installing/removing packages.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
              You can always switch to rolling release distro like Arch
              Or he use a Distribution with a recent installer. Arch-Based Manjaro seems dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Or he use a Distribution with a recent installer. Arch-Based Manjaro seems dead.
                Just to reply the obvious than we all know, Manjaro is not dead

Comment

Does Gallium Nine have any ambitions for Direct3D 10 and 11 support?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Does Gallium Nine have any ambitions for Direct3D 10 and 11 support?
                    Gallium Nine, no. D3D10 is probably useless (pretty much no games use that) and D3D11 is sufficiently different that it would have to be implemented from scratch.

I can't imagine this happening for several years, however. I'd much rather see those resources put towards quick OpenGL Next support.

Comment

Working...
                    X