Mesa 10.4 Brings Performance Improvements & New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Does Gallium Nine have any ambitions for Direct3D 10 and 11 support?
    D3D 10 is a very big change from 9 (and 11 is basically extensions/updates to 10) so if they add 10/11 support it will likely be through a completely new state tracker. I'm sure some of the common code could be refactored out.

Comment

Could Mesa 10.4 fix the problem that I am having when playing Forge Quest in Mesa 10.3?

When I press play for Forge Quest, it does a resolution change and reverts back to 1920x1080 and nothing happens. I'm running Ubuntu 14.10. grayson@htpc:~$ glxinfo | grep Mesa client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.0 OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0 OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0 grayson@htpc:~$ uname -r 3.17-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 Specs: AMD A10-5700 APU with 8GB of RAM, using built-in...

I get a black screen in a window.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        D3D 10 is a very big change from 9 (and 11 is basically extensions/updates to 10) so if they add 10/11 support it will likely be through a completely new state tracker. I'm sure some of the common code could be refactored out.
        As you might recall there was a Direct3D 10/11 Gallium3D state tracker a few years ago. However it was abandoned because it garnered little development after the initial merge into Mesa and began to bitrot. Furthermore, it wasn't anywhere near complete enough to run any Direct3D 10/11 games in a patched Wine, only perhaps very simple example demos.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3d_d3d11&num=1

It will be a long time still before we see good support for Direct3D 10/11, which is unfortunate because these APIs are several years old already. Its not all bad, though, you can play DirectX 10/11 games on Linux with Steam In-Home Streaming, streaming the game from another Windows PC host over a local network to your Linux machine. Virtualization of a Windows guest can also work if all your hardware supports PCI passthrough and support Intel Vt-d and AMD-Vi IOMMU virtualization. Mine doesn't, so I use Steam streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          As you might recall there was a Direct3D 10/11 Gallium3D state tracker a few years ago. However it was abandoned because it garnered little development after the initial merge into Mesa and began to bitrot. Furthermore, it wasn't anywhere near complete enough to run any Direct3D 10/11 games in a patched Wine, only perhaps very simple example demos.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3d_d3d11&num=1

It will be a long time still before we see good support for Direct3D 10/11, which is unfortunate because these APIs are several years old already. Its not all bad, though, you can play DirectX 10/11 games on Linux with Steam In-Home Streaming, streaming the game from another Windows PC host over a local network to your Linux machine. Virtualization of a Windows guest can also work if all your hardware supports PCI passthrough and support Intel Vt-d and AMD-Vi IOMMU virtualization. Mine doesn't, so I use Steam streaming.
          BTW, Here's how seamless it can be... Bioshock Infinite running at ultra graphics setting (DirectX 11) and another game both running very smooth at the same time on a cheap 1.5 GHz Pentium dual-core laptop with low-end integrated Intel graphics on Linux.

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 01 December 2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Excellent, they have implemented DirectX9 directly into the driver. So now it should be easy to play games based on microsoft systems. this should also improve dramatically performance avoiding useless translation from directX to openGL. Now it would be necessary to realize Ageia physx drivers and works is almost complete.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Does Gallium Nine have any ambitions for Direct3D 10 and 11 support?
              it is nine, not ten nor eleven. and it is for a reason

Comment

Working...
              X