X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    No.

C&P is illegal.

You can create Your own derivate but only if You stick to LGPL. What You can do is to put that code in .dll/.so, so only that part need to be LGPL'ed

RTFM (RTFL! )
    I'm really really really not sure about that.
    GPL forces you to share the changes you might have made on it for your software (but does **not** forces you to share your whole project source code).
    LPGL kinda allows you to do whatever you want as long as you say that you use it.

Comment

Edit> I might be wrong... I'm reading the "Why not LGPL?" https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
      But I'm still unsure about the Copy/Paste rule

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        I'm really really really not sure about that.
        GPL forces you to share the changes you might have made on it for your software (but does **not** forces you to share your whole project source code).
        LPGL kinda allows you to do whatever you want as long as you say that you use it.
        No, they are much less liberal than that.

GPL forces you to release your program under the GPL (and thus provide source code) as soon as you use GPL code, no matter how you use it (linking, copy-pasting, or some other method).

LPGL is usable in non-(L)GPL code only if the LGPL code is in a separate shared library.

(As you can guess from the length of the GPL licence, it?s not the whole story, but that?s what it amounts to in practice.)

If you want a licence that lets you do what you want, the most common ones are MIT, BSD, zlib.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          No, they are much less liberal than that.

GPL forces you to release your program under the GPL (and thus provide source code) as soon as you use GPL code, no matter how you use it (linking, copy-pasting, or some other method).

LPGL is usable in non-(L)GPL code only if the LGPL code is in a separate shared library.

(As you can guess from the length of the GPL licence, it?s not the whole story, but that?s what it amounts to in practice.)

If you want a licence that lets you do what you want, the most common ones are MIT, BSD, zlib.
          Interesting, thanks! Now I better understand the existence of all those free licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Well you cant natively load TGA images in C++ either, you used a library for that.
            Writing a loader for TGA is trivial. Just a short header with width, height etc and then the raw pixel data. No library needed. Another popular format for this reason is .ppm .

Comment

Working...
            X