Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Oh, and I have a question for you.

Mono has been developed for almost 10 years now.

Can it run all .Net programs without problems yet?
    YES, as long as they don't p/invoke winapi functions. With Mono I can write an OpenGL application that runs on Linux/Windows/Mac OS X without even recompiling and iPhone/Android with a simple recompilation.

Carry on.

Comment

Actually there's this evil way to overcome that limitation as far as I've been told. You can install a Windows version of Mono on Wine and it will invoke the Wine implementations of the WinAPI functions instead.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Actually there's this evil way to overcome that limitation as far as I've been told. You can install a Windows version of Mono on Wine and it will invoke the Wine implementations of the WinAPI functions instead.
        You could also install .Net on Wine for the same result, but it's not very nice. With a little care, you can abstract away the platform-specific interfaces and re-implement what you need on each platform. That's what Banshee or MonoDevelop do.

But we are going off-topic. I thought we were talking about how a native D3D implementation on G3D would bring about the end of the world or something.

Comment

Microsoft doesn't force people into it's "nest". People deliberatly go into it because they're given love there. What the hell guys... Microsoft isn't using witches to make people blindingly follow them, there's a reason people do! And fortunatly here in europe they can't abuse that power as much as in other parts of the world.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          There's FAR more to it:

- Open standards body
          - Transparent decisions
          - Anyone can join and influence the standard. All major players are represented in Khronos, only Microsoft makes the decisions for D3D
          - Cross-platform availability
          And what does that all matter when in the end you have a cluttered mess like OGL?

Look, I've been arguing here about D3D strengths vs OGL's, and all of you have just been putting up points about Microsoft instead of criticising the API itself.

I started my point by saying "if it's legal". As I see, if legal stuff is put out of the way, just about all your arguments are gone.

And saying that microsoft will introduce "glitches" in the API just to screw us all proves that you know little about how a graphics API works.

Do you really believe the only benefit from having this state tracker on G3D is to run windows games? I can tell you I'd use it for linux-only apps every day at work.

Again, D3D on G3D isn't about runninng windows-native applications on linux. It's about having D3D applications run natively on linux.

Projects like NTFS/FAT are nothing alike what we're talking about here, so I'll just ignore it. We're only talking about using a different set of header files than ogl's to communicate with graphics hardware and you people are going nuts about it!

Comment

I'm starting to believe that if this tracker was named something else, all this discussion wouldn't exist...

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
              I'm starting to believe that if this tracker was named something else, all this discussion wouldn't exist...
              True, and you know why? Because then it isn't the Direct3D compatibility on Linux.

+1000 internets to PinguFunkyBeat. Because if Microsoft is reading this, they will be laughing their asses of! Not only doesn't Microsoft have to do the embracing; WE are doing it FOR THEM. That would be like digging our own grave!

mdias, what do you think wil happen if this D3D runs on linux, huh? I'll tell you; it will run on everything!

And then what? People will develop for it. I mean; why in the hell develop for OpenGL if you have Direct mutherfscking X?!

And then Microsoft will roll out DirectX 12. Whoah! Suddenly on Windows you can get the latest and greatest graphics library! That piece of Linux shit is forever stuck on Direct3D 11. Bunch of freetards holding on to ancient standards!

WAKE.

THE.

FSCK.

UP.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                mdias, what do you think wil happen if this D3D runs on linux, huh? I'll tell you; it will run on everything!

And then what? People will develop for it. I mean; why in the hell develop for OpenGL if you have Direct mutherfscking X?!
                Exactly.

We program OpenGL because we have no other cross-platform alternative.

And then Microsoft will roll out DirectX 12. Whoah! Suddenly on Windows you can get the latest and greatest graphics library! That piece of Linux shit is forever stuck on Direct3D 11. Bunch of freetards holding on to ancient standards!
                May I kindly remind you that our open-source drivers are stuck on OpenGL 2.1?

We are a bunch of freetards holding on to ancient standards.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Exactly.

We program OpenGL because we have no other cross-platform alternative.

There hasn't been a need for other cross-platform alternatives. OpenGL is named so because it's meant to be an open standard, and at least originally was more of an industrial-targetted API than a gaming or entertainment one.
                  Open source drivers are only stuck on 2.1 because the development efforts haven't yet been able to go further, and also because that's where the most demand is/was. It's just a matter of time before they're further.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Yes you may.

And while we're at it, let's also suck at Direct3D!

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      There hasn't been a need for other cross-platform alternatives.
                      The mass exodus of developers to Direct3D indicates otherwise. The last decade saw OpenGL stagnate and die.

Open source drivers are only stuck on 2.1 because the development efforts haven't yet been able to go further, and also because that's where the most demand is/was. It's just a matter of time before they're further.
                      Yeah, they are only 6 years out of date. It's only a matter of time before software renderers overtake hardware rasterizers anyway.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                      Originally posted by Blackstar
                      And while we're at it, let's also suck at Direct3D!
                      The more, the merrier. Isn't that the core strength of open-source?

Comment

Working...
                      X