Mutter Can Cause A Gaming/OpenGL Performance Hit Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Yeah you posted that twice. How about a reality check so that your ego can have a rest, shall we?

A while back people wanted to know just how much compositing window managers would affect overal performance. Michael posted the results.

Right now Michael came back with Mutter added to the known results with Metacity and Compiz required in current form to compare.

The title was Mutter can cause a performance hit too. This, however, was not a test of whether Mutter would actually cause a performance hit (y/n) but a continuation of previous findings in that Mutter also causes a big difference.

Sure 2D WM draws to a framebuffer directly while with compositing the 2D drivers just update an offscreen part of the framebuffer while the 3D drivers put together these pieces and draw the actual end result. When in fullscreen 3D the compositing WM's can sorta turn themselves 'off', which shows an incredible performance boost.

Get over it, smartass...
    I am going to second that (except for the last line).

By the way; is it just me, or is "Mutter" a really bad name for anyone who knows a little bit German?

For example: "Michael has just tested Mutter".
    I don't want to be picky about names because I generally don't care but English and German are both not my first language and even I think it's a really bad name.

Comment

It can't be as bad as "diseased cod"
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
        By the way; is it just me, or is "Mutter" a really bad name for anyone who knows a little bit German?

For example:"Michael has just tested Mutter".
        Gnome fan: "Kwin is bloated".
        KDE fan: "Lol... Yo Mutter is so fat, she weights more than Metacity and Compiz combined!"
        Gnome fan: "Wait-... no.. hey!"
        KDE fan: "Yo Mutter is so fat, when a user click on Activities, she displays all your virtual desktops on one screen!"
        Gnome fan: "STOP IT!"

Comment

Am i the only one missing kwin in the test?

Comment

Gnome fan: "Kwin is bloated".
            KDE fan: "Lol... Yo Mutter is so fat, she weights more than Metacity and Compiz combined!"
            Gnome fan: "Wait-... no.. hey!"
            KDE fan: "Yo Mutter is so fat, when a user click on Activities, she displays all your virtual desktops on one screen!"
            Gnome fan: "STOP IT!"
            Your mutter is so FAT, she's being sued by Microsoft for patent infringement.

Comment

Come on

Yeah just another headline. How many window managers do you plan to benchmark the next weeks?

Phoronix starts to annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                Your mutter is so FAT, she's being sued by Microsoft for patent infringement.
                Loooool! Hahahaha xD
                Yo Mutter is so fat, she needs LLVM and a Core i7 just to run at acceptable framerates without hardware acceleration!

Comment

Loooool! Hahahaha xD
                  Yo Mutter is so fat, she needs LLVM and a Core i7 just to run at acceptable framerates without hardware acceleration!
                  I was under the impression gcc still produced faster code? Perhaps it should be "she needs icc" (the intel compiler).

Jokes aside, and despite some people upset over the title (I would think it obvious that any sort of compositing environment might have some 3D overhead), the actual performance hit of any overhead is good to have tested.

Comment

@mirv,
                    In case you missed it:
                    Mutter doesn't have software/framebuffer fallback and as a result LLVM-softpipe is required for JIT compiling as Mesa-softpipe is too slow

Comment

@mirv,
                      In case you missed it:
                      Mutter doesn't have software/framebuffer fallback and as a result LLVM-softpipe is required for JIT compiling as Mesa-softpipe is too slow
                      Ahh, cheers. Yes, I did miss it (sorry, long day).

Comment

Working...
                      X