Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.0.1 Released With Various Graphics Driver Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 24.0.1 Released With Various Graphics Driver Fixes

For those that prefer to wait for the first Mesa point release in a new series before upgrading, Mesa 24.0.1 was released on Wednesday evening with the first batch of fixes for the feature-packed Mesa 24.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a list of:
    1. games that support RT with proton
    2. list of protons compatible with games above
    3. What you need to make it work on AMDGPU with MESA
    ?
    Can someone provide it pls?

Comment

dimko For Steam games, you look up your game on ProtonDB to see how well it's supported and what other folks had to do to get it to work. Filter the results by GPU vendor, such that it matches your system. Generally speaking, you'll always want the latest stable Mesa version offered by your distro:

You'll have a better experience with gaming distros or rolling release ones (i.e. OpenSuSE Thumbleweed, anything Archlinux, Nobara Linux), as they'll provide new libraries early, instead of just backported fixes to old library versions (i.e. Debian, Ubuntu LTS). Alternatively, on LTS/"stable" distros you'd have to figure out how to get a newer graphics stack by yourself (i.e. via PPA on Ubuntu or self-compiled of you're a masochist).

In order to manage external Proton versions (i.e. GE-Proton), get ProtonUp-Qt. For Epic Games Store, GoG and Prime Gaming, use Heroic Games Launcher. For the sake of completeness, there's also Lutris, which provides one-click installation recipes for many games on its website aswell.

If your kernel, mesa driver, and proton version are recent enough, the game will simply offer you to enable RT, much like on Windows. RT performance is a bit hit and miss, but it's steadily getting better. Just don't expect that it'll beat the Windows driver in these scenarios (Linux can be faster than Windows without RT though).

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Is there a list of:
        ?
        Sure, how much are you willing to pay me per hour?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Is there a list of:
          ?
          1. All of them. There were reports of RE4 Remake crashing, but don't know if that's still the case.
          2. Just use Experimental
          3. Nothing. It used to require environment variables for both RADV and VKD3D, but it's all on by default now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

1. All of them. There were reports of RE4 Remake crashing, but don't know if that's still the case.
            2. Just use Experimental
            3. Nothing. It used to require environment variables for both RADV and VKD3D, but it's all on by default now.
            Thanks, I can google. but for others, what are those variables?
            RADV_PERFTEST=rt VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr %command%
            Last edited by dimko; 15 February 2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

24.1 Mesa, 6.7.0 kernel, experimental proton, RADV_PERFTEST=rt VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr %command%

Still no RT option in Death Loop

Comment

Well. got it to work in Witcher 3. Feels like i have enabled HDR...
                Albeit io have no experience of HDR.

Comment

I could never get RT working in Shadows of the Tomb Raider. RT works in Ghost Runner, Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk 2077. Performance is horrible, except in Metro Exodus which is surprisingly decent (+60fps).

Kubuntu 23.10
                  RX 6750XT
                  Mesa 24.0 (with kizak ppa)
                  6.7.1 kernel
                  Proton 8.0.5

Comment

Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't even launch in DX12 on Linux, which is unfortunate.

But otherwise, quite a lot of games have RT functional.

In Resident Evil games, I understand RT works with DX12U capable GPUs, I couldn't emulate RT in them on a 5700 XT tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X