Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.6 + OpenGL ES 3.2 Achieved On Apple M1 With Linux Driver

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.6 + OpenGL ES 3.2 Achieved On Apple M1 With Linux Driver

The Asahi Linux project working on the AGX Gallium3D driver for Mesa has now managed to achieve OpenGL 4.6 conformance as well as OpenGL ES 3.2. This is a big upgrade for the Linux OpenGL support on the Apple M1 as previously only OpenGL 4.1 was exposed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon it will surpass Nouveau by a wide margin...

Comment

Yeah, I can't help but be very impressed with the GPU work progress on that port. Seriously good stuff.

Comment

It's crazy how fast they are developing this driver, without vendor support and without even hardware support apparently. I can't help but be envious of the quality work they're putting out for a platform I'm not using.

Comment

Incredible, not just OpenGL4.6 but verified Conformant too. That's nuts! Alyssa have done a spectacular job and in such a short time, and let's not forget Lina's AGx driver that proved without a doubt just how good and performant Rust is for drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Soon it will surpass Nouveau by a wide margin...
            From what little I know based on reading past Phoronix articles, Apple does not expressly stonewall being able to tell what the GPU is doing as information comes in or goes out of it.

Nvidia does do that though. That's why the Nouveau crew still can't and probably never will be able to get re-clocking supported on cards previous to RTX2000. Nvidia wants total control. It is absolutely not because the developers working Nouveau are terrible at what they do.

Re-clocking would've been discovered and Nouveau-enabled years ago if Nvidia was as nonchalant about everything as Apple is being.

Comment

I really don't get why they don't just do a Vulkan future-proof driver, and rely on Zink for OpenGL.
              Last edited by rmfx; 14 February 2024, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                I really don't get why they don't just do Vulkan future-proof driver, and rely on Zink for OpenGL.
                I think they said it's because reverse engineering OpenGL is easier than Vulkan because OpenGL has defined behaviour in Apple silicon (on MacOSX) while Vulkan does not. I think they also said completion of OpenGL helps pave the way for Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

I think they said it's because reverse engineering OpenGL is easier than Vulkan because OpenGL has defined behaviour in Apple silicon (on MacOSX) while Vulkan does not. I think they also said completion of OpenGL helps pave the way for Vulkan
                  Which bodes well for a future with excellent support for both OpenGl and Vulcan.

Comment

Code:
                    | ---------------------------------------- |
                    | 🏆 Achievement get!  Full OpenGL support |
                    | ---------------------------------------- |
                    Now, just gotta get that sweet, sweet Vulkan support mainlined and finished...

Comment

Working...
                    X