Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 24.0 Released With Faster Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing & Initial PowerVR Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forge View Post

Ahhh. Smart enough to build the software, but not experienced enough to realize why it's a bad idea. I was there once! I wanted to run something that required a newer glibc than SuSE 6.2 shipped with, so I set off to build it. A week later and a dozen or more software build/installs later, I ended up having to reinstall SuSE entirely.

Mesa isn't *quite* as core a piece as glibc, but it's very high up the list. Even if you succeed in building and installing your own version of Mesa, it's likely to break a *lot* of other software on your system. There's a reason your distro comes with package management. If you're looking to color outside those lines, you really need to do a *lot* more reading and experimenting to learn just what you're signing up for.

As a quick list off the top of my head, if you are building a newer/different major version of Mesa, you will need to rebuild the following. That will mean rebuilding a lot of additional downstream dependencies as well, so you are undertaking a major project. Perhaps a second Linux install, of LFS or Gentoo? It would be a similar amount of work/compiling.

Wayland and/or X.org
    Your display manager (Kwin/Mutter/other)
    libdrm
    kernel (because libdrm)
    *everything* that interoperates with Mesa. This will probably be almost everything on your system that interacts with a GUI directly.
    Quite presumptuous of you to somehow conclude I'm not experienced enough to realise why its a bad idea !? You have no Idea who I am or how long I've been doing this.

I never said install either and replace the default mesa. For that I use Valve's Kisak mesa to replace Ubuntu's.... for YEARS.

I also build my own Mesa with just amd drivers for my main gaiming rigs without installing them but just referencing them using command line environment variables on the spot. I've been doing that for years! I could very well build libdrm-* but couldn't be bothered due to being time poor and either Kisak from Valve or Ubuntu will update it to the minimum version anyway at some point.

Best to say nothing then presume mate without thinking it through.

Anyways, a few days ago Kisak from Valve built the libdrm-* minimum version requirements for mesa 24.0.0 and bundled it in with Kisak fresh PPA.
    I have now been able to build an optimised amdgpu only version of mesa thanks to him. NOT INSTALLED but referenced via scripted on the spot env variables to point to libraries.

If you lack experience perhaps I can help you here and paste the routine and scripts.

Last edited by DanglingPointer; 07 February 2024, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Ahhh. Smart enough to build the software, but not experienced enough to realize why it's a bad idea. I was there once! I wanted to run something that required a newer glibc than SuSE 6.2 shipped with, so I set off to build it. A week later and a dozen or more software build/installs later, I ended up having to reinstall SuSE entirely.

Mesa isn't *quite* as core a piece as glibc, but it's very high up the list. Even if you succeed in building and installing your own version of Mesa, it's likely to break a *lot* of other software on your system. There's a reason your distro comes with package management. If you're looking to color outside those lines, you really need to do a *lot* more reading and experimenting to learn just what you're signing up for.

As a quick list off the top of my head, if you are building a newer/different major version of Mesa, you will need to rebuild the following. That will mean rebuilding a lot of additional downstream dependencies as well, so you are undertaking a major project. Perhaps a second Linux install, of LFS or Gentoo? It would be a similar amount of work/compiling.

Wayland and/or X.org
      Your display manager (Kwin/Mutter/other)
      libdrm
      kernel (because libdrm)
      *everything* that interoperates with Mesa. This will probably be almost everything on your system that interacts with a GUI directly.
      This can be avoided using packaging that actually makes sense, like arch for instance. almost none of these need to be rebuilt. As long as your libdrm is more or less up to date, mesa-git will compile against that perfectly fine and you won't need to recompile pretty much anything. KDE/Kwin, X11, sway it all works fine. As usual, Arch remains supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

This can be avoided using packaging that actually makes sense, like arch for instance. almost none of these need to be rebuilt. As long as your libdrm is more or less up to date, mesa-git will compile against that perfectly fine and you won't need to recompile pretty much anything. KDE/Kwin, X11, sway it all works fine. As usual, Arch remains supreme.
        Yes, I run Arch on most of my machines. Saying "just run Arch" isn't well received by Ubuntu users, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post

Quite presumptuous of you to somehow conclude I'm not experienced enough to realise why its a bad idea !? You have no Idea who I am or how long I've been doing this.

I never said install either and replace the default mesa. For that I use Valve's Kisak mesa to replace Ubuntu's.... for YEARS.

I also build my own Mesa with just amd drivers for my main gaiming rigs without installing them but just referencing them using command line environment variables on the spot. I've been doing that for years! I could very well build libdrm-* but couldn't be bothered due to being time poor and either Kisak from Valve or Ubuntu will update it to the minimum version anyway at some point.

Best to say nothing then presume mate without thinking it through.

Anyways, a few days ago Kisak from Valve built the libdrm-* minimum version requirements for mesa 24.0.0 and bundled it in with Kisak fresh PPA.
          I have now been able to build an optimised amdgpu only version of mesa thanks to him. NOT INSTALLED but referenced via scripted on the spot env variables to point to libraries.

If you lack experience perhaps I can help you here and paste the routine and scripts.
          Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine. I didn't post here asking how to get a Mesa setup that isn't supported by anyone, you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I like Arch.

The main gaming rig is in the living room where wife and kids use it to play emulators like Yuzu and Dolphin-emu along with steam games, they use it from a couch with a huge TV and wireless touchpad keyboard and PS5 controllers and Wiimotes. Having Ubuntu with Kodi, steam, emulators is just easier for them. They can do more autonomously without me needing to help them when they're consuming it.

I basically keep the rig up to date with latest builds of emulators (built optimised not downloaded executables) and referenced optimised mesa (custom env referenced mesa). Along with media on Kodi.

But yes I lke Arch along with other distros. I've probably used them all over the last 3 decades.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine. I didn't post here asking how to get a Mesa setup that isn't supported by anyone, you did.
              I'm just going to ignore you from here on as you are abrasive and presumptuous and believe you know more then the unknown person posting. I would never hire you if I new who you really were as you probably couldn't work in a team and are a loner or condescending to team mates and not collaborative.

good luck to you.

Comment

I'm just going to ignore you from here on as you are abrasive and presumptuous and believe you know more then the unknown person posting. I would never hire you if I new who you really were as you probably couldn't work in a team and are a loner or condescending to team mates and not collaborative.

good luck to you.
                Ugh! Unsupported thing doesn't work. *someone notes it's difficult for a reason* Wah! I want it to work! You are mean. You are grumpy! I hate you so much!

The phrase you are looking for is "plonk". I'm applying it now. Goodbye.

Comment

I like Arch.

The main gaming rig is in the living room where wife and kids use it to play emulators like Yuzu and Dolphin-emu along with steam games, they use it from a couch with a huge TV and wireless touchpad keyboard and PS5 controllers and Wiimotes. Having Ubuntu with Kodi, steam, emulators is just easier for them. They can do more autonomously without me needing to help them when they're consuming it.

I basically keep the rig up to date with latest builds of emulators (built optimised not downloaded executables) and referenced optimised mesa (custom env referenced mesa). Along with media on Kodi.

But yes I lke Arch along with other distros. I've probably used them all over the last 3 decades.
                  at this point, I just run arch + distrobox/podman for any other distro I need.

Comment

Working...
                  X