Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 24.0 Released With Faster Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing & Initial PowerVR Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.0 Released With Faster Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing & Initial PowerVR Vulkan Driver

Phoronix: Mesa 24.0 Released With Faster Radeon RADV Ray-Tracing & Initial PowerVR Vulkan Driver

Mesa 24.0 made its very punctual debut today as the Q1'2024 feature update to this set of open-source OpenGL, Vulkan, OpenCL, and video acceleration drivers most notably used by Linux systems. From upstreaming of the Imagination PowerVR Vulkan driver to lots of Intel and AMD Radeon improvements as always, Mesa 24.0 is another great update that benefits most Linux desktop users from basic video acceleration and 3D to the most devoted Intel and AMD Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why Intel still has not caught up to AMD in supporting Vulkan:
    Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

I guess they have the money and people to do that, if they wanted to.
    Could it be because they don't have the hardware as some extensions might require more powerful hardware?

Anyway, many thanks to all the people who have contributed to this new Mesa version!

Comment

PowerVR is easily the most exciting thing for me here. glad to see another vendor in mainline mesa

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

I guess they have the money and people to do that, if they wanted to.
      Could it be because they don't have the hardware as some extensions might require more powerful hardware?

Anyway, many thanks to all the people who have contributed to this new Mesa version!
      probably because they have a lot more issues then some obscure vulkan drivers that are hardly actually required, not in use, but required

Comment

If you look carefully at "Extensions that are not part of any Vulkan version" you will find a bunch of AMD-specific extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
          If you look carefully at "Extensions that are not part of any Vulkan version" you will find a bunch of AMD-specific extensions.
          AMD specific extensions is kind of a misnomer, Rather then "AMD specific" they are functions that AMD pushed for and developed. Intel could potentially support some of them, (and even does a couple no?) but I agree with the general point that a lot of them probably offer zero benefit to intel

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

probably because they have a lot more issues then some obscure vulkan drivers that are hardly actually required, not in use, but required
            So what does that mean, they don't / can't support Vulkan better because their GPUs are more popular, having more users, that find more bugs?
            Isn't that directly proportional with their income, meaning that they also must have more money to hire more developers to fix more bugs and implement more extensions?

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            All of the extensions that you say are AMD specific I see them on general Mesa column too.
            Also, what keeps Intel to have their own Intel-specific extensions, which are thee same as AMD, similar ones or new ones?

I thought that it was the fact that they had only lower power integrated GPUs, but now they have dedicated GPUs too.

Comment

So what does that mean, they don't / can't support Vulkan better because their GPUs are more popular, having more users, that find more bugs?
              Isn't that directly proportional with their income, meaning that they also must have more money to hire more developers to fix more bugs and implement more extensions?
              bro, the arc dgpus just came out not too long ago, they still have loads of time to play catch up. Intel has been doing really great thus far, Im currently primairly using an A380 in my PC now, I plan to take the rx 580 out soon too after I finish up some last tests I need to do for some VM stuff (which will sadly take a while)

All of the extensions that you say are AMD specific I see them on general Mesa column too.
              Also, what keeps Intel to have their own Intel-specific extensions, which are thee same as AMD, similar ones or new ones?

I thought that it was the fact that they had only lower power integrated GPUs, but now they have dedicated GPUs too.
              uh... ofc mesa supports them, if mesa didn't support them, How would RADV support them? also vendor extensions only make sense when you need to expose a specific hardware feature to developers, you want as little extensions as possible, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

AMD specific extensions is kind of a misnomer, Rather then "AMD specific" they are functions that AMD pushed for and developed. Intel could potentially support some of them, (and even does a couple no?)
                Yes. This is what I actually mean, just said it wrong.

Comment

Is it okay if I just hope for generally improved performance of RADV with Vulkan?

Counter-Strike 2's Vulkan backend needs every performance gain. Maybe the Direct3D11 backend of Source2 is the cause. It is dating back to 2008 and both Vulkan and Direct3D12 are using a different principle (low-level API) than Direct3D11. But I assume the only ones which can tell us is Valve?

By the way. The "GPL" extensions gives some insights but if I get it right once a shader is compiled it shouldn't affect "in game" performance anymore?
                  Khronos has introduced a new extension named VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library that allows for shaders to be compiled much earlier than at full Pipeline State Object (PSO) creation time. By leveraging this extension, I was able to avoid many causes of frame hitches due to PSOs being late-created at draw time in the Source 2 Vulkan renderer. Read on to learn more about VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library.

Comment

What is this rouge cpu architecture CPU mentioned in the article? I know about AMD64, x86, MIPS, SPARC64, ARM, RISC V, etc. But never heard of this rouge cpu before. (I already did a google search and it yielded nothing for me).

Comment

Working...
                    X