Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Now Exposes Vulkan 1.3 Support

Phoronix: Mesa's NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Now Exposes Vulkan 1.3 Support

The NVK driver within Mesa for open-source NVIDIA GPU support for the Vulkan API that works with the Nouveau DRM kernel driver is now capable of advertising Vulkan 1.3 API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That might have just massively improved the usefulness of the driver - both DXVK and vkd3d-proton require Vulkan 1.3. Hope to see some testing results in games very soon.

Comment

I'd give it a year or two from now before NVIDIA needs to start worrying that endusers don't install their binary userspace driver any longer because nouveau and nvk are providing a decent experience.
      By then only DLSS, Cuda and AI proprietary stuff will require their blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        I'd give it a year or two from now before NVIDIA needs to start worrying that endusers don't install their binary userspace driver any longer because nouveau and nvk are providing a decent experience.
        Why would NVIDIA worry as long as their cards are still sold and coveted?

Userspace blobs which is not a huge deal.

Comment

I estimate about half a year before distros start shipping it and users wont care to swap off for general use, hard core gamers probably still will

Comment

Too bad I don't have a series 2000 or later. I drool.​

Comment

Great work !!!

Comment

Hopefully the Kepler support (last that had reckoning etc) comes before the discontinuation of 400-series driver patches for it.

(honestly should have been supported in 500-series drivers. Dropping it was a low blow)

Comment

NVK is developing rapidly. When I tried it last time (few months ago) it was barely Vulkan 1.0 capable and a lot of things didn't work on it including Zink. Now it's Vulkan 1.3 capable and a lot of things are working fine on it with pretty decent performance. I tried running Zink on it and not only it works fine for many applications but it's a lot faster than native Nouveau OpenGL (in some cases even three times). Considering the fact that developers are focused on features and performance work is yet to be done, these are very promising results. Respect for developers. It's nice to know that after years of stagnation now open source NVIDIA drivers are improving and getting closer to be usable.

Comment

Hopefully this could outperform the official drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X