Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Enables S3TC Support For 3D Textures

Phoronix: Mesa Enables S3TC Support For 3D Textures

The feature work continues pouring in for Mesa 24.0 with new OpenGL and Vulkan driver features continuing to be enabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I won't lose support for the S3TC textures on the second disc of my Unreal Tournament '99 GOTY if I switch away from nVidia now.

I thought the patent on those things ran out and they got enabled years ago. Didn't Phoronix have a post about that?

Comment

What year is this? I thought S3TC was already integrated?

Comment

AFAIK 2D textures were enabled a while ago; this is for 3D textures.
        Test signature

Comment

this might help bliss and waydroid, there were some games that exhibited some odd issues I've been meaning to look into, I think one of them was some card game? unless the 3d part is fairly new, I know the 2d stuff helped a game or two

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
            so for now at least this support is just enables for GLES3 contexts
            That's incorrect, Michael. The patch also enables it for any drivers exposing ARB_ES3_compatibility​, which is most of them in Mesa.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 13 December 2023, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              What year is this? I thought S3TC was already integrated?
              I remember something about it being patent-encumbered

Comment

I also think it is about these _3D_ textures (seems to be like a layered bitmap graphcis, a bitmap with a z axis information added, unlike the classic textures). S3TC was an old thing and yes, there were "intellectual achievement" problems (I avoid the term property a little), so first there was an external lib (libtxc_dxtn) and you had to set an environment variable to enable S3TC, but when the patent was running out it was quickly integrated in official mesa, enabled by default and (commercial*) distributors shipped it, too.
                But that seems only to have been done for 2d textures, which - to my knowledge - were the default for quite a bunch of games and maybe other software.

* the ones that are enterprise based and could easily be sued, same with (not) enabling mp3 playback for years, dvd-css and so on
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X