Mesa 24.0 PVR Vulkan Driver Adds Support For New PowerVR Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.0 PVR Vulkan Driver Adds Support For New PowerVR Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Mesa 24.0 PVR Vulkan Driver Adds Support For New PowerVR Kernel Driver

The PVR Vulkan driver being developed within Mesa for modern PowerVR graphics hardware has now landed support for using the upcoming PowerVR DRM kernel driver that is being upstreamed in Linux 6.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Along with the open-source Vulkan driver and DRM kernel driver, the PowerVR firmware binaries are also required as is the case with all modern GPUs needing the necessary firmware support.
    As much as I appreciate the enablement of hardware, "the others are doing it too" is a pretty lame argument for creating closed source binary blobs.

I wait for the day when one of these hardware ivory towers open-sources their complete software stack to create these blobs. Experience has shown: they're good at hardware - they're not so good at software.

I think it will become necessary that these blobs are reverse-engineered and re-implemented using open-source tools.

Comment

Does this work with the Moore's thread cards?

Comment

Working...
      X