Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.3 Fixes Zink Rendering For X.Org/XWayland GLAMOR

Phoronix: Mesa 23.3 Fixes Zink Rendering For X.Org/XWayland GLAMOR

Mike Blumenkrantz working for Valve's Linux graphics driver team has added implicit sync support to the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver, which in turn now opens this generic driver up for correctly providing GLAMOR rendering with X11 and XWayland environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo

"This closes previously reported bugs around X11 applications with black window contents when using Kopper and broken XWayland support is broken for Zink."

Maybe

"This closes previously reported bugs around X11 applications with black window contents when using Kopper and broken XWayland support with Zink.

If it aint baroque, don't fix it.

Comment

It's nice to see Zink becoming a solution for more use-cases.

Comment

I can't remember that I've seen you write about NIR 2.0 Michael, that I just read about (in passing) on Blumencrantz blog. Nor have I seen an article on the new linker that marek seems to be working on, that Mike also mentioned.

Comment

So what exactly is now compatible with Zink? What is not (yet)? Can it run the Gnome/KDE desktop?

Comment

Could this be used to fix Xwayland on Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Could this be used to fix Xwayland on Nvidia?
              Interesting idea. Yes, assuming the Wayland compositor, Xwayland and OpenGL apps all use zink, it should fix artifacts due to the lack of implicit sync in the nvidia driver.

Unfortunately, it likely won't fix apps which use Vulkan directly though, since the nvidia Vulkan driver still doesn't handle implicit sync.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Interesting idea. Yes, assuming the Wayland compositor, Xwayland and OpenGL apps all use zink, it should fix artifacts due to the lack of implicit sync in the nvidia driver.

Unfortunately, it likely won't fix apps which use Vulkan directly though, since the nvidia Vulkan driver still doesn't handle implicit sync.
                I don't think there was example of Nvidia failing on Xwayland with Vulkan, at least from bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

I don't think there was example of Nvidia failing on Xwayland with Vulkan, at least from bug report.
                  Could be luck, or maybe the Vulkan driver has a workaround (apparently it does for native Wayland apps). The only way it could work reliably at this point would be via implicit sync, which the Vulkan driver quite certainly does not implement.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

How does this make sense, fundamentally speaking the API design of Vulkan is explicit sync or am I missing something?

Or are you talking the fact that apps don't use Vulkan in a vacuum and hence the compositors/X11 that wrap around Vulkan are still implicit sync?

Comment

Working...
                    X