Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.1 RADV Driver Lands Vulkan Video Decoding For H.264/H.265

Phoronix: Mesa 23.1 RADV Driver Lands Vulkan Video Decoding For H.264/H.265

The work led by Red Hat's David Airlie on supporting Vulkan Video with the Mesa RADV driver has seen the work mainlined today for Mesa 23.1!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, so for now a variable and a value to turn on for both H.264 and H.265 content. Small price to pay for now. Then comes the encode, which makes it easier for Linux users to be able to create multimedia with Vulkan ready cards.

Comment

hope we get H.266 next year too with AV1 and VP9, the FOSDEM presentation on H.266 was interesting

Comment

Michael, please provide links to your sources. All the links in the article cycle back to Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          Michael, please provide links to your sources. All the links in the article cycle back to Phoronix.
          What? Y'all didn't notice that the single word "merged" 3/4s of the way into the article contained a link to the source? (in case y'all didn't detect the /s in that)

Yeah, I've complained about the lack of a bibliography in articles before, too.

Comment

I checked all of the links in the article and I'm pretty sure that link was not there when I read it. Maybe he added it already. Otherwise my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
              hope we get H.266 next year too with AV1 and VP9, the FOSDEM presentation on H.266 was interesting
              What about H.266 is supposed to be so good? It seems like the proprietary version of AV1 + HRD.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

What about H.266 is supposed to be so good? It seems like the proprietary version of AV1 + HRD.
                Theoretically its should be more efficient since its unburdened by patent avoidance concerns, but I trust the few obscure benchmarks I've seen about as much as I trust AOM's JPEG XL benchmarks. I haven't read about any mega features to differentiate it either.

But since H.266 is absent from hardware decoders, its as good as dead outside of niche stuff in the near future. AV1 is still being snubbed by Qualcomm, Apple and some others, but at least its showing up in some chips.
                Last edited by brucethemoose; 07 February 2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

This Vulkan based x264 / x265 decoding will also be gutted from mesa on distros like Manjaro? (I refer the recent licensing issue about x264/265 usage)

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                    But since H.266 is absent from hardware decoders, its as good as dead outside of niche stuff in the near future. AV1 is still being snubbed by Qualcomm, Apple and some others, but at least its showing up in some chips.
                    Qualcomm has introduced up to 8K60fps AV1 yuv420p8/10 decoding capability in 8Gen2, which is even stronger than RX7900XT

Comment

Working...
                    X