Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Gallium3D Driver Enables Mesa Shader Disk Cache Support

Phoronix: Asahi Gallium3D Driver Enables Mesa Shader Disk Cache Support

A number of patches were merged this week to Mesa 23.1 around the Asahi "AGX" Gallium3D driver that continues progressing on open-source OpenGL support for Apple Silicon M1/M2 graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The great thing about the folks behind Asahi is that they're focusing on building on top of Mesa, and their contributions help the Mesa project in general as well. Mesa has had SO MUCH activity, it's great to see so many people working on it.

I also really like Asahi because they're not focused on building a desktop, just the drivers etc behind it. Why should they? There are so many desktop environments out there to pick from, and running on ArchLinux ARM (though you can change that) you have all the packages and support for that.

It's an exciting time.​

Comment

Originally posted by joshx1 View Post
      The great thing about the folks behind Asahi is that they're focusing on building on top of Mesa, and their contributions help the Mesa project in general as well. Mesa has had SO MUCH activity, it's great to see so many people working on it.

I also really like Asahi because they're not focused on building a desktop, just the drivers etc behind it. Why should they? There are so many desktop environments out there to pick from, and running on ArchLinux ARM (though you can change that) you have all the packages and support for that.

It's an exciting time.​
      I wish Steam exist for ARM Linux, does Proton works with aarch64 Linux ?

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

I wish Steam exist for ARM Linux, does Proton works with aarch64 Linux ?
        iirc I remeber some people getting it to work with FEXemu? not too sure though

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

iirc I remeber some people getting it to work with FEXemu? not too sure though
          Unfortunately FEXemu doesn’t work with the 16k page size that Asahi uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

ahh I see

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

Asahi is just a couple of packages on top of Arch Linux and recompiling a kernel is not much effort. I'm compiling my own 4K kernel on ppc64le as well.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                A number of patches were meged this week

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Typo:
                  Thanks
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Asahi is just a couple of packages on top of Arch Linux and recompiling a kernel is not much effort. I'm compiling my own 4K kernel on ppc64le as well.
                    The issue is that according to their own post, there is built in hardware on the chip that simply will not work with anything other than a 16k page size.

edit: I completely misread the article. Please disregard.

Comment

Working...
                    X