Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic OpenGL ES Compute Shader Support Begins Working For The Apple GPU Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic OpenGL ES Compute Shader Support Begins Working For The Apple GPU Linux Driver

Phoronix: Basic OpenGL ES Compute Shader Support Begins Working For Apple GPU Linux Driver

The open-source developers working on developing the Rust-written Linux DRM kernel driver for Apple M1/M2 graphics as well as the Mesa AGX Gallium3D driver in user-space have now managed to successfully run a basic OpenGL ES 3.1 compute shader on the hardware with this open-source driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It has a few major bugs no one seems to have noticed: running Halo on it clearly shows a blurred background and it's using the wrong font face, not to mention it adds an extra "L" to the game name...
    Last edited by lucrus; 15 January 2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      It has a few major bugs no one seems to have noticed: running Halo on it clearly shows a blurred background and it's using the wrong font face, not to mention it adds an extra "L" to the game name...
      Reporting it where appropriate does a lot more than just calling it out here... Unless you've already done that ;P

Comment

Still can't believe they put a notch in a laptop... just why...

Comment

Very impressive progress. This is one of those projects I assumed was going to die as soon as it could boot up a CLI (as is the case with most hardware that gets no official manufacturer support) but for the relatively small team of people reverse-engineering, I'm really surprised how far they've come.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Still can't believe they put a notch in a laptop... just why...
            To me it feels like Apple's design has completely went downhill since Jony Ive left, may be not as much on the ui front, but particularly on the hardware front.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

To me it feels like Apple's design has completely went downhill since Jony Ive left, may be not as much on the ui front, but particularly on the hardware front.
              For me the 14" M1 MBP is the best laptop Apple has ever made. The notch is a non issue when running macOS and you still get a 16:10 screen below the menubar/notch. The display is simply stunning and the laptop itself is really solidly built while being both fast as hell and cool as ice. Blows my ThinkPad X1C10 out of the water in every aspect except for running x86 Debian. … and the X1 is a great laptop too.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

You're apparently unaware that Ive was the one that drove the "thinner at all costs" aesthetic that brought a number of ill conceived hardware designs with it, including but not limited to that stupid butterfly keyboard that never worked correctly.

Good riddance. The man was a menace to functionality.

Comment

Rust have really proven itself with this project. Apart from the integrity/stability of the code once it compiles I've also noticed that error handling code is much simpler and cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

You're apparently unaware that Ive was the one that drove the "thinner at all costs" aesthetic that brought a number of ill conceived hardware designs with it, including but not limited to that stupid butterfly keyboard that never worked correctly.

Good riddance. The man was a menace to functionality.
                    I know about that. I also know that new mpb's for example have returned the traditional connectors unlike before, when it only had USB C's. But I'm talking purely from an aesthetic point of view. They're butt ugly. Apart from the notch, I hate that light grey color and the body also looks much bulkier than before because it now uses stands at the bottom.
                    Oh, and don't forget the new M1 iMacs with their white frames and the most childish color selection possible.
                    Last edited by user1; 15 January 2023, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X