VirtIO-GPU Venus Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
    What I want to know is when is there going to be a compatible Windows client driver?
    To further highlight my lack of knowledge, why has (at least for Linux hosts & guests) GPU acceleration not been a "mere" matter of defining a memory pool, and handling all relayed vulkan/gallium instructions within it as if it were any other application trying to draw a triangle or cube?
    virgl opengl put super simply, emulates a gallium gpu, meaning it looks something like this
    Opengl -> gallium -> opengl < -- qemu-pipe -- > virglrender/opengl -> gallium -> gpu.

so it was quite a bit of overhead pair that with the poor d3d->GL at the time and there is very little incentive to get it to work.

Venus on the otherhand is a lot more preformant, so good chance we might see someone interested in working on it. but you still need a working d3dx (probably 12, but 11 would be usable) UMD driver for this to work in any meaningful matter, DXVK/vkd3d is not really an option here since some apps call directly to the UMD. that being said it might be possible to utilize some of them into a UMD driver.

the other options for developing a UMD driver are to port D3D11on12 to vulkan for d3d11 umd driver. make d3d10umd d3d11 compliant, and port that to zink or virgl's gallium backend for d3d11umd, both are suboptimal though.

if we can get a d3d12umd driver, we can use d3d9on12 as well as d3d11on12 to get a proper hw accelerated desktop

Originally posted by archkde View Post
    This looks interesting. Is there any way of setting this up with QEMU?
    not right now, you kinda can test it (instructions on collabora article about it) but it doesn't work well. Mr. Caggiano is still working on getting it upstreamed however​

Comment

What is UMD? Hard to dig out relavant things.
      What is Venus?

I am looking for something faster than virgl for linux on linux, e.g. remote gaming on proxmox server.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
        What is Venus?

I am looking for something faster than virgl for linux on linux, e.g. remote gaming on proxmox server.
        UMD, is short for user mode driver. Think kinda like radeonsi or nine.
        Venus is a virtualized vulkan driver, and runs with far less overhead than virgl.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

virgl opengl put super simply, emulates a gallium gpu, meaning it looks something like this
          Opengl -> gallium -> opengl < -- qemu-pipe -- > virglrender/opengl -> gallium -> gpu.

so it was quite a bit of overhead pair that with the poor d3d->GL at the time and there is very little incentive to get it to work.

Venus on the otherhand is a lot more preformant, so good chance we might see someone interested in working on it. but you still need a working d3dx (probably 12, but 11 would be usable) UMD driver for this to work in any meaningful matter, DXVK/vkd3d is not really an option here since some apps call directly to the UMD. that being said it might be possible to utilize some of them into a UMD driver.

the other options for developing a UMD driver are to port D3D11on12 to vulkan for d3d11 umd driver. make d3d10umd d3d11 compliant, and port that to zink or virgl's gallium backend for d3d11umd, both are suboptimal though.

if we can get a d3d12umd driver, we can use d3d9on12 as well as d3d11on12 to get a proper hw accelerated desktop

not right now, you kinda can test it (instructions on collabora article about it) but it doesn't work well. Mr. Caggiano is still working on getting it upstreamed however​
          Bit twisted here? what was requested was a WDM driver in windows to access the host systems hardware acceleration wich kind of wrapper you implement in windows depends on the needs, the most logical choice would be host(linux) Vulkan > guest(windows) D3D12, if you can use vdkx or d3dwrapper libs in the guest is not the question, the question is to implement a wdm driver to implement a interface that can access the host vulkan, that can handle all calls for gui compostioning dx d3d9 d3d10 d3d11 d3d12 so the windows guest runs in a satisfiying way to play games you also need a vaapi > dxva/d3dvideo wrapper and thats alot of code.

Linux on linux doable, windows on linux pain, linux on windows yes thats why microsoft implements all the wrappers so that mesa runs on a windows host with a linux guest, linux runs very well on windows 11 nowdays the other way around the linux comunity missed it dont understand why? Thats this NIH thing again i want to used wine no i play on steam , i want to run windows on linux, sorry dude no candy for you.

Oh and don´t say but GPU passtrough not talking about that, it´s extra hardware you need a igpu a dgpu a compatible mainboard that has good iommu tables etc.
          Last edited by erniv2; 13 October 2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
            What is Venus?

as snaipersky said, but the actual "can I use this for proxmox remote gaming" is maybe. it's a big piece of the puzzle, and with virgl renderer now supporting vaapi, you could likely use this with moonlight game streaming. the issue that not only does qemu need to support it, but so does proxmox, do they even expose egl headless yet?

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
            i want to run windows on linux, sorry dude no candy for you.
            this is exactly what the entire post is about running a windows virtual machine on linux, re-read it​.

Comment

Working...
            X