Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtIO-GPU Venus Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.3

Phoronix: VirtIO-GPU Venus Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.3

Mesa's Venus driver provides Vulkan support for VirtIO-GPU since it was merged last year as a creation by Google. As of yesterday, the Venus driver has moved on to exposing Vulkan 1.3 capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great!! Glad to see this picking up the pace. Does this require vGPU?

Comment

Very nice, KVM is catching up a lot, even farther in some areas, for conventional desktop usage, even to the point of gaming-capable paravirtualized graphics. I'm excited to see these changes in the newer QEMU and virt-manager versions.

Comment

too bad I cant get this to work on my rx580 in qemu or crosvm, really wish I could but it just keeps pooping

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
          This is great!! Glad to see this picking up the pace. Does this require vGPU?
          No, this is passing the Vulkan commands directly through to the underlying hosts. There is a performance hit and security implications, but it is very cool none the less. Google has some other stuff in the works that will essentiall let the guest VM talk to the host kernel driver as well, that is also very cook, and still doesn't require vGPU.

Comment

how much of a performance hit is there? also does this mean that you can also pick up opengl for free with zink?

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
              how much of a performance hit is there? also does this mean that you can also pick up opengl for free with zink?
              There is already the much more mature Virgl for that.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What I want to know is when is there going to be a compatible Windows client driver?
                To further highlight my lack of knowledge, why has (at least for Linux hosts & guests) GPU acceleration not been a "mere" matter of defining a memory pool, and handling all relayed vulkan/gallium instructions within it as if it were any other application trying to draw a triangle or cube?

Comment

This looks interesting. Is there any way of setting this up with QEMU?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

There is already the much more mature Virgl for that.
                    if by virgl you mean venus which is this then sure, virgl opengl is quite slow

Comment

Working...
                    X