Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.3 Lands New "Rusticl" OpenCL 3.0 Implementation

Phoronix: Mesa 22.3 Lands New "Rusticl" OpenCL 3.0 Implementation

Karol Herbst of Red Hat has seen his new "Rusticl" implementation merged into mainline Mesa! Mesa 22.3 next quarter will introduce this new Rust-written OpenCL 3.0 implementation that will hopefully be more successful than the existing Gallium3D "Clover" OpenCL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not agree with this.

Comment

any sign of 22.2?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
        I do not agree with this.
        What do you not agree with?

Comment

Can't wait for radeonsi support
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Why this is written in Rust instead of C or C++ like the rest of Mesa?

Comment

will it work on intel gpus?

Comment

I thought we would see a vibrant compute ecosystem when the first wave of APUs were released a decade ago. Compute in consumer products has been in limbo because there has been very little consumer demand. There have been very little demand because runtimes have been fragmented and broken. It's a classical chicken or the egg situation.

There's still a ton of fragmentation, cuda/ocl/sycl and the plethora of implementations that come with it. The limited hardware that is supported by those implementations... but the it's at least improving. First good Blender news and now mesa too. It gives one hope that things will change.

I hope it's the same as the GPU stack were seemly out of nowhere open source drivers got a lot of attention. It took many years to get to where we are today, but it improved every year for many years. I'm looking forward to cross-platform, cross-vendor support for ocl and sycl.

Good luck with Rusticl!

Comment

Danny3 why not? Rust has a C ABI and the memory safety guarantees from Rust could lead to a more timely implementation of new features and fewer catastrophic issues like GPU hangs, segfaults and unintended behavior.

Rusticl, much like the upcoming Apple M1/M2 OpenGL GPU drivers will also serve as a prototype study on the practical advantages and disadvantages of writing the userspace portion of GPU drivers in this programming language. It's a great opportunity to generate further knowledge and insight regarding the matter. Maybe even some new universally applicable, general "good practices" will be discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Why this is written in Rust instead of C or C++ like the rest of Mesa?
                    "Rusticl was started by well known Mesa contributor Karol Herbst of Red Hat. While starting off as an open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" engineer while at Red Hat he has worked on Mesa's Clover compute support and other efforts. Rusticl is an attempt by Herbst at learning the Rust programming language and also providing a new (and hopefully superior) OpenCL implementation."

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X