Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL 3.0.10 Brings A Handful Of New Extensions

Phoronix: OpenCL 3.0.10 Brings A Handful Of New Extensions

OpenCL 3.0.10 has been tagged as the newest revision to the OpenCL 3.0 API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"OpenCL can be downloaded"? You mean the documentation as OpenCL isn't software on itself but rather a description for a compute API.

Also I wish Vulkan Compute had more attention than OpenCL...

Comment

To be able to run Opencl 1 let alone 3 on either my VII or 6800xt would be nice !

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
        To be able to run Opencl 1 let alone 3 on either my VII or 6800xt would be nice !
        Doesn't MESA's openCL give you openCL 1.1? I get that AMD the company that sold you the graphics cards and created openCL would never deem to let you use it, but MESA should have your back.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
          I realize 2 is neither 1 nor 3 but you should get OpenCL 2-ish from the packaged drivers. The ROCm 4.5 code should include the same ROCm code as the 21.40.1 packaged drivers but the ROCm release (as opposed to the packaged graphics driver release) was not tested on 6800XT.

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          Doesn't MESA's openCL give you openCL 1.1? I get that AMD the company that sold you the graphics cards and created openCL would never deem to let you use it, but MESA should have your back.
          I don't think we created OpenCL - that was Apple, wasn't it ?

For the record we did not create Clover either, although we were the primary contributor for a few years hoping it would get established as a cross-vendor standard.
          Last edited by bridgman; 19 November 2021, 04:17 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I realize 2 is neither 1 nor 3 but you should get OpenCL 2-ish from the packaged drivers. The ROCm 4.5 code should include the same ROCm code as the 21.40.1 packaged drivers but the ROCm release (as opposed to the packaged graphics driver release) was not tested on 6800XT.
            I don't think we created OpenCL - that was Apple, wasn't it ?
            For the record we did not create Clover either, although we were the primary contributor for a few years hoping it would get established as a cross-vendor standard.
            in my point of view OpenCL was created by Apple but it was made for the Geforce 8800 GTX Nvidia hardware ... OpenCL1.0 is build around: Geforce 8800 GTX

"The GeForce 8 (...) Nvidia introduced the Shader model 4.0 (SM 4.0) for the first time, with pixel, geometry and vertex shaders according to DirectX 10. (...)the fastest GeForce card when it was launched had the “8800 GTX ""

In fact OpenCL1.0 has reference hardware the "Geforce 8800 GTX" and the openCL design is based on this hardware feature set....
            later AMD had to add similar features to make AMD hardware run OpenCL fast and effetive...

to blame AMD for an Apple project made spezific for nvidia hardware is really historical revisionism

but it looks like MESA/Clover becomes really usefull with image support and openCL1.1 what is what most projects use.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I believe MESA 22 will have openCL 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I believe MESA 22 will have openCL 3.
                but anyone with openCL1.1 support can claim it is openCL 3.0

these numbers in openCL lost their meaning after 2.0 was a flop because of Nvidia.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                X