No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.0 Lands Some Patches Toward OpenCL Image Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Working on fixing the issue" >> "We have updated the documentation to say we won't support graphical interfaces with our graphics card."
    Ahahaha ROCm is joke
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yes yes yes yes yes... omg this is so yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I hope this could help image viewers to have a smooth zoom in / out on very high resolution images like more than 20 MP.
        I can't think of any other use case for normal users.
        SVP (SmoothVideo Project) requires OpenCL image support for their GPU accelerated motion interpolation. Seems to be pretty popular at least with the anime community, though most of them with AMD GCN based cards likely use AMD Fluid Motion on Windows since it's already fully GPU accelerated. AMD Fluid Motion was developed in association with CyberLink, the developer of PowerDVD media player, and they didn't want to give up their exclusivity to the feature, so AMD dropped support for it on the RDNA cards, even though it was already perfectly usable on several other video players with the Bluesky Frame Rate Converter DirectShow filter. Unfortunately SVP isn't open source but it is free on Linux and an adequate alternative to Bluesky FRC, and will likely surpass it once RIFE - Real Time Video Interpolation matures and becomes usable on other than high-end Nvidia cards.
        Last edited by [TV]; 19 October 2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
          The biggest problem are the missing video codecs.
          DaVinci Resolve on Linux without codecs become pretty useless.
          I'm a professional user of Resolve on linux. All codecs work fine except for non-free, namely h.264 and family. This is not a linux issue. It's a patent licencing issue. If you buy the paid version of Resolve (as I have) all your iphone videos and mp4s work no problem under linux.
          See here:
          https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...Codec_List.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

I'm a professional user of Resolve on linux. All codecs work fine except for non-free, namely h.264 and family. This is not a linux issue. It's a patent licencing issue. If you buy the paid version of Resolve (as I have) all your iphone videos and mp4s work no problem under linux.
            See here:
            https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...Codec_List.pdf
            I suspect you are using an NVidia card and if so you are correct. If you are running an AMD card then h.264 for example is not supported even if the video card has encoding as an ASIC. Why I am not sure but it may have some thing to do with when BMD has reached out to AMD they have been blown off. AMD feels about AMD the same way Linus feels about NVidia. Not that AMD h.26x encoding is any thing a pro would want to use any way. But the CODEC API they added to Resolve 17 does allow third party plug ins that can provide support. Some one wrote one that leverages FFMPeg but I have never gotten it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              I am so excited about this. I wish in the future to dump the amd binary opencl module for clover.
              me to,
              probably I will end up compiling Clover, and test it on my RX580

Comment

Darktable does support OpenCL acceleration but it's not mandatory - it's fully functional with CPU only.

Most of the image processing modules have separate OpenCL and CPU implementations; it will use the OpenCL version if it's available and the GPU is fast enough for it to be worthwhile, otherwise it falls back to the CPU version.

Comment

hmm, surprised it hasn't been mentioned but I think this will also allow running some crypto miners using the Mesa driver, as some only work with the AMD Open CL implementation (e.g. TeamRedMiner)

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    hmm, surprised it hasn't been mentioned but I think this will also allow running some crypto miners using the Mesa driver, as some only work with the AMD Open CL implementation (e.g. TeamRedMiner)
                    I assume any serious crypto miners wouldn't use Mesa in its current form. I think these people tend to be running custom firmware and probably don't want to leave any potential performance on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      I assume any serious crypto miners wouldn't use Mesa in its current form. I think these people tend to be running custom firmware and probably don't want to leave any potential performance on the table.
                      Yep, I just run it on my gaming PC while I'm at work

Comment

Working...
                      X