W3C Posts First Public Working Drafts For WebGPU, WebGPU Shading Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W3C Posts First Public Working Drafts For WebGPU, WebGPU Shading Language

Phoronix: W3C Posts First Public Working Drafts For WebGPU, WebGPU Shading Language

WebGPU as a next-gen web standard for accelerated graphics and compute is stepping closer to reality with the first public working drafts having been published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After so many years is there a 3D game (shooter preferably) worth playing online thru WebGL?

Comment

What is the purpose of this in regards to Vulkan? Can we not just expose Vulkan in WASM?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        What is the purpose of this in regards to Vulkan? Can we not just expose Vulkan in WASM?
        Probably there are some sandbox/security risks to that; but on top of that, Apple has been involved from early in the project, which appears to me to have affected the decision to make WebGPU not basically WebVulkan.

Either way, that ship has long since sailed; so I hope they do something useful with the differences!

Comment

is intended to provide high performance on these modern graphics APIs across mobile and desktop platforms.
          source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGPU

this is scary. once it becomes reality, it opens all kind of garbage and probably security holes. demand for support on apps on android. security is worst in vast number of android devices.

i see nothing but security holes and garbage

Comment

Originally posted by gigi View Post
            source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGPU

this is scary. once it becomes reality, it opens all kind of garbage and probably security holes. demand for support on apps on android. security is worst in vast number of android devices.

i see nothing but security holes and garbage
            I concur.
            I can't wait for the first round of scummy ads that leave cryptominers deposited into the browser.

The people who think this crap is a good idea are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainLugnuts View Post

I concur.
              I can't wait for the first round of scummy ads that leave cryptominers deposited into the browser.

The people who think this crap is a good idea are morons.
              Web browsers provide a tight security sandbox. It's much safer than low level C++, possibly running in Ring 0. JS is much more expressive than the BCPL based legacy languages. The high level JIT compiler in JS can also optimize AAA game code in more modern ways, which allows it to outperform AVX2 inline asm optimized kernel mode LTO/PGO C/C++/Rust.

Comment

WGSL is fucking garbage and shouldn't exist.

You're making the exact same mistakes that OpenGL did -- having a source-level language (text) be your main shader input; and we all know how well that turned out. There's a reason that Vulkan and ...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  After so many years is there a 3D game (shooter preferably) worth playing online thru WebGL?
                  Game? I don't know. But I know a few useful apps using WebGL.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    https://krunker.io/ was made in Unity and is (presumably) exported to WebGL. Never played it myself but heard it's pretty decent.

Comment

Working...
                    X