Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Progress Is Made Understanding Apple's M1 GPU, Working Towards An Open Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Progress Is Made Understanding Apple's M1 GPU, Working Towards An Open Driver

Phoronix: More Progress Is Made Understanding Apple's M1 GPU, Working Towards An Open Driver

Alyssa Rosenzweig, known for her work on the Panfrost open-source drivr for Arm Mali graphics, has published the latest findings around the Apple M1 graphics processor. In fact, enough understanding to get a shaded, spinning cube rendering on the Apple M1 using a simple demo so far while the open-source driver support is still the goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
    open-source drivr for

Comment

I have an idea. Why not support exclusively Vulkan, and then do the rest using Zink (that keeps getting faster and faster)?
      This way you could finish the driver in one year or two.

Comment

Such an interesting read. Apple's Metal is indeed even lower-level than Vulkan or DX12. There are some obvious advantages at making the GPU as simple as possible while letting the CPU handle the overhead required for managing APIs. I have to wonder if Microsoft's success in pushing DirectX as a de facto standard in gaming has led to a lot of cruft (at an expense) in GPUs in order to compete in accelerating that API series.

Comment

"Why not support exclusively Vulkan"

I'm not expert, but it sounds like the hardware doesn't necessarily have all the features it would need to implement Vulkan completely. Apple built something that was made for Metal. This might end up being a weird driver that does some things in CPU/software to get Vulkan working well enough to run Zink on.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I have an idea. Why not support exclusively Vulkan, and then do the rest using Zink (that keeps getting faster and faster)?
            This way you could finish the driver in one year or two.
            I think Alyssa probably has more of a background in GLES, which I imagine is why she's starting there. But it's certainly an interesting idea to rely on Zink for this hardware. Probably still quite a ways to go before it's really relevant - lots of stuff like getting the shader compiler to work with control flow, texturing support, etc. is going to be shared no matter what API you support and is a lot of work to get going.

Comment

How adorable, they specifically designed M1 to not support Vulkan so when benchmarked, Metal will out-perform it. It's just like how they intentionally slowed down iTunes on Windows. This company is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Comment

May the M1 die in fire. May the whole Apple die in fire. The sooner the better.

Kudos to anyone working to free it: I myself would not spend a single second of mine to reverse engineer anything these days. It's not the early 90's anymore, when Linux desperately needed to work on something and reverse engineering was more or less the only way out.

Today we have 3 out of the 4 most relevant graphics hardware makers that support Linux one way or the other (yes, I'm including nvidia too, though I'd never buy it again), and one that stands in the way on purpose instead. Let it die in fire, we do not need bitten and quickly rotting fruits anymore (had we ever needed those anyway?).
                Last edited by lucrus; 19 April 2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Kudos to anyone working to free it: I myself would not spend a single second of mine to reverse engineer anything these days.
                  Agreed. Fair enough if she is doing it for fun but we will *always* be playing catchup. Apple will *always* break the work in the next release.

For average consumers, we should ditch the trash and buy stuff that is intended to work for us.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    May an Ampere Altra 8-core mini-sized computer exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X