Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Progress Is Made Understanding Apple's M1 GPU, Working Towards An Open Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paradroid
    replied
    Metro Exodus is a native MacOS game with Metal. You get around 20 FPS in scenes with low poly count and few enemies. Not bad but not great either.
    But for the first gen it is more 3D-performance than I expected.

Leave a comment:

• Boland
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

I've seen the same videos and Metro Exodus stutters a lot on the M1. Lots of demanding games tend to stutter on the Apple M1 hardware. As much as people want to defend Apple and their lack of Vulkan, there is no future for the Metal API. All the emulators ported to Mac use MoltonVK as most developers aren't interested in learning an API that only works on Apple hardware. Apple would be better off supporting Vulkan instead of continuing their Metal API.
    The videos of it stuttering were the ones with it running in Fusion/Parallels.

Native is smooth.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by paradroid View Post

Just watched some YouTube videos of Metro Exodus running on M1. It is not to bad, definitely way better than Intel onboardgraphics.
    I've seen the same videos and Metro Exodus stutters a lot on the M1. Lots of demanding games tend to stutter on the Apple M1 hardware. As much as people want to defend Apple and their lack of Vulkan, there is no future for the Metal API. All the emulators ported to Mac use MoltonVK as most developers aren't interested in learning an API that only works on Apple hardware. Apple would be better off supporting Vulkan instead of continuing their Metal API.

Leave a comment:

• sandy8925
    replied
    Damn, she's a real legend and an inspiration. Just the thought of working on hardware with no documentation and a lot of frustrating blocks and lack of knowledge feels like too much work for me. Hats off to her and others.

Leave a comment:

• paradroid
    replied
    My company purchased an M1 for iOS dev/testing; the GPU is pretty bitchin' so I have to say, it seems that their design direction paid off.
    Just watched some YouTube videos of Metro Exodus running on M1. It is not to bad, definitely way better than Intel onboardgraphics.

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    How adorable, they specifically designed M1 to not support Vulkan so when benchmarked, Metal will out-perform it.
    No. They built a minimalist GPU based on the needs of their graphics API, and a similarly minimal CPU built on the real-world needs of their customers. They didn't intentionally omit Vulkan, they just have no interest in spending transistor real estate on anything that they themselves don't need, and their customers love it.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by paradroid View Post
    I wouldn't wonder Apple designed the GPU as much as possible around patents.
    My company purchased an M1 for iOS dev/testing; the GPU is pretty bitchin' so I have to say, it seems that their design direction paid off.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Cool design. Nice to see that there are still engineers with taste at Apple, even if the finished product feels like garbage to use for any practical purpose (mostly due to software, and in the case of the laptops, severe tradeoffs between thermal performance and sleekness.. also weird and product-destroying board design defects).
    Last edited by microcode; 19 April 2021, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Repeating non sense does not make it true!!!!!! I'm sitting right now in front of an M1 Air that is PASSIVELY cooled and I can't think of a single machine that competes with it in any price range. That is offers the same level of performance in a fanless laptop. This machine highlights why I was so interested in getting an Arm based laptop that doesn't suck in the first place.
    The high end Zen 3 mobile chips are competitive with the M1. It's definitely impressive though, particularly in terms of power use.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Imroy View Post

I'm more hopeful for RISC-V myself.
    But Apple M1 has no competition.

(Altra and A64FX don't count; those are big iron oriented)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X