Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Lands NIR Support Plus Radeon R600g NIR Support Is Forthcoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Lands NIR Support Plus Radeon R600g NIR Support Is Forthcoming

Phoronix: Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Lands NIR Support Plus Radeon R600g NIR Support Is Forthcoming

More Mesa drivers continue to be embracing NIR as the modern intermediate representation shared between these OpenGL and Vulkan open-source implementations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My old laptop cheers hearing to get NIR soon on R600. As the performance decreased recently by 50% (it could be a problem with recognizing the DRI_PRIME=1 variable with the new Steam client though) - I still hope to see some improvements on these old chips in 2020. Maybe this will help to get OpenCL beyond 1.1 in the long run.

Comment

Didn't Gert say it was just supported on Evergreen for the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Didn't Gert say it was just supported on Evergreen for the moment?
        Gert did say that, and he also said that the current state it is far from being on par with the TGSI code

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post

Gert did say that, and he also said that the current state it is far from being on par with the TGSI code
          I hope that old laptop lasts long enough then to see the fruits of your hard work. If it wasn't you and Dave taking care of R600, it wouldn't see much love these days.

Comment

Yay! Would be fantastic!

I should probably point out that I started using r600 classic full time when it still only could do 2D. My main computer today is still using r600g, so any improvements are very welcome!
            Last edited by HokTar; 28 November 2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Can any one tell me if any of this is getting us any closer to having an openCL implementation with image support without having to use the proprietary drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                Can any one tell me if any of this is getting us any closer to having an openCL implementation with image support without having to use the proprietary drivers?
                I'm curious about this too.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I thought OpenCL over ROCm already had image support but not 100% sure of that.

That won't directly help with SI and older parts, although it does get about 95% of the way there.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I thought OpenCL over ROCm already had image support but not 100% sure of that.
                    Yes it does. (Though presumably he was probably meaning for Mesa OpenCL as opposed to 'proprietary' drivers. Just like Intel's OpenCL NEO has images + CL 2.0/2.1, etc)
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X