Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
    Another feature I would like to see is improved freezing to disk of single processes to disk, which can be later unfrozen, even after system reboot. Very interesting feature with interesting possibilities.
    Stuff like that would be super useful for people who want to make a linux-based mobile operating-system.

Comment

Lol, Mr. Poettering how about to explore splitting some "systemd-*" projects out of systemd? Each program gets to the point author either calms down or it turns bugged bloatware. And I guess it is time to get this idea, real fast

Comment

I accepted systemd for what it is now after avoiding it for years but now it's scary to think that we're gonna have to comply to what systemd like to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          This actually makes a lot of sense and I feel like Lennard should stop naming things after systemd otherwise people will hate it for no reason.

the /etc/passwd /etc/shadow stuff is ridiculously outdated. macOS has moved away from it too.

Arguably this also makes /var/lib/AccountService redundant.
          As if people didn't bash anything from Poettring no matter how it's named...

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            Lol, Mr. Poettering how about to explore splitting some "systemd-*" projects out of systemd? Each program gets to the point author either calms down or it turns bugged bloatware. And I guess it is time to get this idea, real fast
            Again with this?

I can't believe there are people who don't understand that system isn't a 100% monolith but rather a project with many tools.

Comment

Sounds like he wants to re-implement ecryptfs-migrate-home

Comment

I like the idea but I'd prefer they to resolve/clean systemd's main repo's issues/PRs, which currently are more of a thousand/a hundred, respectively

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Again with this?

I can't believe there are people who don't understand that system isn't a 100% monolith but rather a project with many tools.
                  It is, but I guess its time to explicitly split that into "companion projects" or so. Explicitly hinting e.g. distro packagers these could and should be e.g. separate, optional packages. Say, last time I needed something that networkd can do for me ... it was unable to bring up network interface to begin with (lol, just lol, using some really awkward excuse for that). At which point it proven to be fairly useless thing, lol. Er, if I can't even bring interface up, configuration doesn't happens, lol. And if I have to use other tools anyway... it raises a very good question "why I need that networkd thing at all?". At which point I prefer to see it split into separate optional package (that I would happily purge if devs are crazy enough to forget option to bring interface "up").

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                    It is, but I guess its time to explicitly split that into "companion projects" or so. Explicitly hinting e.g. distro packagers these could and should be e.g. separate, optional packages. Say, last time I needed something that networkd can do for me ... it was unable to bring up network interface to begin with (lol, just lol, using some really awkward excuse for that). At which point it proven to be fairly useless thing, lol. Er, if I can't even bring interface up, configuration doesn't happens, lol. And if I have to use other tools anyway... it raises a very good question "why I need that networkd thing at all?". At which point I prefer to see it split into separate optional package (that I would happily purge if devs are crazy enough to forget option to bring interface "up").
                    While I agree with the splitting of packages, the whole of systemd takes 21Mb on my system, before FS compression, 7.6Mb after. Not enough for me to care.
                    (There's also the lib package, it should take 1.8Mb before FS compression)

Comment

When will we have new systemd commands like:
                      • systemd-ls = Lennart will show you whatever files he wants to show you
                      • systemd-cd = Lennart will only let you change to directories he thinks you should change to
                      • systemd-cat = Lennart will not give you the password to play with his cat
                      • systemd-less = Lennart refuses to implement such a command, "Not a bug. WONTFIX". Use "systemd-more".

Comment

Working...
                      X