Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Phoronix: Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Kicking off today in Berlin is the annual All Systems Go conference focused on systemd and other user-space components. Systemd lead developer Lennart Poettering presented on systemd-homed as a new component to systemd that is focused on improving home directory handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure why systemd isn't handling all my internet banking passwords for me yet. Or my credit card numbers. Or automatically filing my taxes returns.

These problems aren't going to jump up and solve themselves, Lennart. Get busy hacking together a solution, like yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Welcome homed.
      You've just been homed.

Comment

I guess this is for multi user or multi seat... ?

Comment

Now I need systemd-homied to manage guest accounts

Comment

Later ...
            Systemd-userd
            Ensure system is not poisoned by the user presence is the next ambition for systemd.

Comment

Too much words. But I can't understand what interesting use cases can systemd-homed.

Can anyone provide some really useful ways to use this? To me, it seems Lennart is really bored and doesn't know what to invent.

Comment

Use case === whatever Lennart wants to do.

Your use case === If it's not what Lennart wants to do, it's not a valid use case.

Flame me, whatever, I really really don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Too much words. But I can't understand what interesting use cases can systemd-homed.

Can anyone provide some really useful ways to use this? To me, it seems Lennart is really bored and doesn't know what to invent.
                  All of your usual user program configuration files, password lists, etc will become stored on an encrypted loopback image making it so we should, in theory, be able to take that image from OS to OS to OS and have all our user settings and whatnot intact and working. That assumes that all those OSs have the same programs installed...

But, disregard the OS hopping scenario, it would be really useful for OS upgrades, assist distribution maintainers with migrating to having a read-only root and using atomic updates since it attempts to move some of the files end users have to tweak under /etc to the user image, in corporate environments where every PC has the same crap installed all we'd have to do is load our image from a network drive so any PC in those environments could be used by anyone and have our personalized tweaks, sudo password, GPG keys, etc.

Comment

I have been interesed in read only root for a while.

Ansmd network managed OS image

Comment

Working...
                    X