Gallium-Nine-Standalone: Making Gallium D3D9 Easier To Use On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    nine works with gallium, zink is opengl over vulkan. each "over" means "slower".
    so nine can't, but wine d3d driver can work with zink, but it would be very stupid do use it with slower backend instead of radeonsi for example. it seems like 95% of commenters just mindlessly parroting some buzzwords
    Zink provides a Gallium 3D OpenGL implementation on top of Vulkan. A native OpenGL Driver might be faster, but it is as well very complex. As such, I really wouldn't care if there is a small performance loss especially as we talk with Gallium Nine only about a DX9 conversion. The advantage is that it is not only based on just one good OpenGL implementation like RadeonSI.

Comment

Well, for me FPS wise the best solution is DXVK, then Gallium NINE, then Wine D3D9 default implementation.

PS: Sometimes NINE get me even higher max FPS, but DXVK feels much smoother overall.

Comment

It's been feasible to do that for over a year, so I don't get the big headline/surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          Well, for me FPS wise the best solution is DXVK, then Gallium NINE, then Wine D3D9 default implementation.

PS: Sometimes NINE get me even higher max FPS, but DXVK feels much smoother overall.
          Hey, Gallium-Nine is for DX9 and DXVK for DX11(10) games. You cannot compare it in this way.

Comment

There's been a gallium nine standaloge package in the AUR for ages that did exacly that.
            Good to see not that it's an "official" project and not just a packaging hack.

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post

Hey, Gallium-Nine is for DX9 and DXVK for DX11(10) games. You cannot compare it in this way.
              Yes and no at the same time: If I play StarcraftII, I get the most FPS with DX11 using DXVK, then DX9 using Gallium NINE, then using mainline Wine with either DX9 or DX11.

Comment

Yes and no at the same time: If I play StarcraftII, I get the most FPS with DX11 using DXVK, then DX9 using Gallium NINE, then using mainline Wine with either DX9 or DX11.
                exactly, you caught the DX9 limitations, not gallium or dxvk limits
                DX11 was designed exactly to overcome these DX9 problems

Comment

Yes and no at the same time...
                  I obviously agree with you and in the same time I don't
                  I think it depends of engine, implementation, driver etc. but overall I was wrong and comparing dx implementation in the same title had more sens than i thought.

Comment

Working...
                  X