Gallium-Nine-Standalone: Making Gallium D3D9 Easier To Use On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium-Nine-Standalone: Making Gallium D3D9 Easier To Use On Wine

Phoronix: Gallium-Nine-Standalone: Making Gallium D3D9 Easier To Use On Wine

At least until D3D9-over-Vulkan is in better shape, the means by which you can achieve the greatest Direct3D 9 performance right now under Wine/Linux is by using Gallium3D's "Nine" state tracker. Unfortunately though upstream Wine developers have been reluctant to support it upstream since its limited to just Linux and of that just Gallium3D drivers, but Gallium-Nine-Standalone makes this support easier to deploy across Wine versions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been using GalliumNine for like 2 years on SC2 and it is much better than the WINE driver. I'm glad they are pushing forward with this. Like it's a difference of 80fps-300fps on AMD systems and if we could get it into Proton it adds even more options for users.

Comment

Originally posted by shanefagan View Post
      Been using GalliumNine for like 2 years on SC2 and it is much better than the WINE driver. I'm glad they are pushing forward with this. Like it's a difference of 80fps-300fps on AMD systems and if we could get it into Proton it adds even more options for users.
      I'd say Proton is probably going to wait for DX9 over Vulkan than using GalliumNine.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I'd say Proton is probably going to wait for DX9 over Vulkan than using GalliumNine.
        Well either way it should be better than the default WINE D3D9. Using SC2 with Vulkan probably would be the best case scenario given it's very CPU limited.

Comment

This sounds like a great idea, especially if Nine will work with Zink then.

Comment

I use exactly that nine stalone on Debian Buster. This is with packaged proper wine and just stalone built separately

Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks for making me aware of this. It is exactly what I needed to try Nine!

Comment

Microsoft did open source Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) for .NET Core.
                While .NET Core is cross-platform, WPF is not.
                WPF depends on DirectX, so I wonder if it maybe would be possible to get WPF running on Linux using Gallium Nine somehow maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I wished they did not wait. Right now Proton runs DX9 games like crap, with severe performance limitations. Or they accept Gallium 9 as a temporary solution now, or at last try to make the DX9 to Vulkan faster.

Comment

For end users it is easier, but for distros, I think shipping a patched version of wine for Gallium Nine is still be way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X