Nouveau DRM Changes Queued For Linux 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
    I also think that nouveau devs are doing a great job, an admirable job despite the obstacles. It's thanks to you guys that we're able to have a functional GUI. This matters a lot to me, as old computers will sometimes have a second life if you can install Linux on them, and one of the basic requirements for the average user is having a GUI. Without good drivers, your options are going to be several limited in terms of desktop environments, let alone proper video decoding (who doesn't watch YouTube & co nowadays?).
    Well, I never watched accelerated Youtube under linux. Not much under Windows either (using Windows XP back then, a bit of Windows 7 but the geforce 6/7 video engine couldn't be used for anything)
    Youtube does work by throwing a very fast CPU at it e.g. 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GHz Athlon 64, Core 2 duo, Athlon X2 etc. (just joking a tiny bit about these being very fast. I think they still about match most mobile hardware coming out and bought by people today like Cortex A53)

For desktop environments, we can have a flame war. Well, until we have Wayland and unicorn rainbows I'm not fond of 3D accelerated ones. There's the overhead of 3D acceleration, I couldn't use Cinnamon because I disliked the toll taken by the cinnamon and Xorg processes. Might be good on quad core or quad thread CPU.

Comment

If you like vintage low power graphics cards with open source drivers, why don't you try R600 derivatives like, for example Radeon HD 3650 or similar? They are decently supported and have quite useful hardware video decoders.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

Well, I never watched accelerated Youtube under linux. Not much under Windows either (using Windows XP back then, a bit of Windows 7 but the geforce 6/7 video engine couldn't be used for anything)
        Youtube does work by throwing a very fast CPU at it e.g. 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GHz Athlon 64, Core 2 duo, Athlon X2 etc. (just joking a tiny bit about these being very fast. I think they still about match most mobile hardware coming out and bought by people today like Cortex A53)

For desktop environments, we can have a flame war. Well, until we have Wayland and unicorn rainbows I'm not fond of 3D accelerated ones. There's the overhead of 3D acceleration, I couldn't use Cinnamon because I disliked the toll taken by the cinnamon and Xorg processes. Might be good on quad core or quad thread CPU.
        I wasn't trying to say that people already have hardware decoding for YouTube, just that I expect the hardware decoding feature to happen in the open source drivers as opposed to the closed one (at least for older models).

Comment

Working...
        X