Experimental Nouveau Reclocking Patches Updated, Including For Maxwell GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    none, because working on AMD means reading specs -> not what RE is all about.
    I've seen enough people complaining about limited documentation on AMD side too, only AMD developers have full access to docs (no duh).

Comment

most likely to "protect" the hardware against damages by messing with the fan
      Most modern hardware (modern = is 15 years old or less) has thermal trip points, in case it gets overheated it pulls the plug and shuts down.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post

Didn't mean RE efforts, but programming / developer time generally.

If we assume 5 people are actively working on Nouveau and they say 'fuck it, let's spend our time improving Amd drivers'... Those would get improved dramatically and fast (even now the progress is amazing when redhat and valve chipped in)...

I just don't understand the persistence to make free drivers for a company that can obviously afford people to make it for them. And treating community like shit.

Linus said it nicely.
        I think what karol herbst (nouveau dev) meant, was that many nouveau devs work on nouveau because they enjoy the RE.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Most modern hardware (modern = is 15 years old or less) has thermal trip points, in case it gets overheated it pulls the plug and shuts down.
          I just made fun of nvidia, because there is no good reason

If we assume 5 people are actively working on Nouveau and they say 'fuck it, let's spend our time improving Amd drivers'... Those would get improved dramatically and fast (even now the progress is amazing when redhat and valve chipped in)...

I just don't understand the persistence to make free drivers for a company that can obviously afford people to make it for them. And treating community like shit.

Linus said it nicely.
          Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

I think what karol herbst (nouveau dev) meant, was that many nouveau devs work on nouveau because they enjoy the RE.
          exactly, most/all Nouveau devs do it because it's fun, mainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

Yeah, the thing you have to remember is that with OSS volunteer development, you're not paying them for a product. You have no power to make them focus on things that are useful. A lot of dev is based on what that particular developer thinks would be fun to work on, not what would help you the most.

So if nouveau went away entirely, most of these guys probably wouldn't switch to AMD, they'd just quit and move on to something else.

That said, according to libv AMD is hiding all their docs and everything is terrible and needs to be RE'd anyway...

Comment

most likely to "protect" the hardware against damages by messing with the fan
              Open source Devs will mess with the fan and damage their hardware, or they will give as broken code to damage ours. Ok!!!

Comment

Does anyone know if this improves/would improve the reclocking ability on 940MXs? I'm running 4.12 with mesa 13.0.6-1 yet the reclocking hangs my laptop when I try to launch glxgears or any graphics related program using DRI_PRIME. Without reclocking it runs fine (but with a lower performance).

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                  Great! I hope this gets mainlined before the next LTS kernel. I stopped using nouveau for one year because it made my computer crash for time to time when I did the experimental re-clocking thing to play openarena. But I've kept reading about their new work hooping that it will soon be stable enough to play openarena (it could already give the 125fps I like to play at).

But I'll eventually have to buy an AMD GPU because AFAIK nouveau doesn't support 144hz monitors
                  I had no problem with nouveau and high refresh rate, granted I did not test on 144Hz, but I did up to 130 using VGA connection. The main reason why I used nouveau over nvidia blob is because thing related to refresh rate, when using Chromium (or any browser based on it) with nvidia driver, it would always defualt at 60FPS, and on higher refresh rate that's terrible experience when browsing, with nouveau, it did work as expected (wit browser following refresh rate), same thing happened with ATI/AMD closed drivers, while radeon did things properly. I assume same is the case for Firefox with accelerated layers enabled, I did not test it however.

Comment

Originally posted by MihaiBojescu View Post
                    Does anyone know if this improves/would improve the reclocking ability on 940MXs? I'm running 4.12 with mesa 13.0.6-1 yet the reclocking hangs my laptop when I try to launch glxgears or any graphics related program using DRI_PRIME. Without reclocking it runs fine (but with a lower performance).
                    Do you by any chance have a middle perf level? I know that there are some issues left with higher ones on a low amount of cards I try to debug right now.

Comment

Linus said it nicely.
                      Having more people working on a project, past a certain minimum, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to progress faster or get any better.
                      Nobody is making drivers for nvidia, they're making them for the community and for themselves,

Believe it or not there are a lot of people stuck on nvidia hardware for one reason or another (not talking about gamers here) and for them it's really important having a half decent driver to work with. One that's not a blob and works properly with Wayland and GBM. One that doesn't screw with your framebuffer, or lack a proper implementation, and offers a useable shell resolution to work with.

Having your graphics card display output to the screen while you're trying to install a linux distro for the same time could also be considered handy and useful when it comes to bringing new users over. Users that couldn't care less about buying a new gpu in order to merely try out sth other than Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X