Nouveau Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev vs. NVIDIA OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Basically opensource drivers are not copy/paste clones from proprietary - there would be always some gap here and there
    it works both ways

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      For AMD is about time to give up from non free driver
      amd can't give up from paying customers no matter how often you ask

Comment

Originally posted by cruelj View Post
        Could somebody please explain to me, how people still have money/time/motivation to work on nouveau, while NVIDIA obviously doesn't wan't an opensource driver.
        i have better question: how people still have money/time/motivation to sponsor most linux-hostile hardware manufacturer

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          This is why you should believe nvidia when they come up with something else than GBM.
          this is why only butthurt idiot could believe nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            for desktop if people wants to use opensource driver amd is the only alternative for gaming, no point in spending so much money and use opensource nvidia driver, the lack of dynamic clock is big problem for performance and lifetime of a card who always use the maximum freqs. For AMD is about time to give up from non free driver and put all resources in opensource driver like intel (one driver), when they reach the parity of features, opengl 4.5 vulkan vdpau/vaapi and enduro
            It doesn't cost them any money to keep the proprietary driver. Now that AMDGPU is working, the proprietary OpenGL driver is drop in.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              i have better question: how people still have money/time/motivation to sponsor most linux-hostile hardware manufacturer
              We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver, giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought. Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done.

You call that "linux-hostile", I call that excellent linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post

We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver, giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought. Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done.

You call that "linux-hostile", I call that excellent linux support.
                Haha, another one trying to argue with pal666. Welcome to the club, pal*

*pun intended

Comment

"We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver"
                  Too easy. Non-proprietary (if you know what that means) drivers are wiser, undebatably.

"giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought"
                  Community-created and *almost* full performance is still much more powerful, since the people now _know_ how the drivers work.

"Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done"

Unintelligible.

"You call that "linux-hostile", I call that excellent linux support."

Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it works both ways
                    Depends, usually it works only one way

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      are you member of church of nvidia?

Comment

Working...
                      X