Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amarildo
    replied
    Superior software is a problem for AMD, because their drivers introduce a lot of overhead while the NVIDIA's driver doesn't. That's why when AMD cards get the games closer to the "bare metal" with Vulkan they see a large improvement, while NVIDIA's cards don't see much (because their drivers are close to optimal already).

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Originally posted by trek View Post

I've got the idea that Nvidia has superior software (but not hardware) and they try defend their advantage improving the closed source driver and not helping open source knowledge sharing
    Nvidia's hardware is the scientifically correct to do, small MIMD units like neurons, close to memory as possible, no real optimizations needed, very efficient. But the ASIC way is to pack the maximum you can for games, like heavy SIMD, not the scientific way. So the TitanX had 6.5TFlops but it was efficient regardless of the task wile FuryX had packed 8.5TFlops and gave the same result. But now it is in your hand to make your game efficient with asynchronous shaders and a FuryX can beat a GTX1080. So i will say a flop is always a flop and I'm sorry for those who bought the less flops.

Also superior software is not the problem here. First because there isn't and second because I spoke just for open power management, so I can run whatever I want to my ASIC like Gallium Nine. Anyway If Nvidia thinks they are right, then lets put it in Wikipedia under the terminology NSIC and not ASIC, if it is to run only what Nvidia likes.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    are you member of church of nvidia?
    You sounds like a guy who hate churches

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    We sponsor that manufacturer because
    you like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_pigs
    we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done.
    windows is on the other side
    You call that "linux-hostile", I call that excellent linux support.
    it's not me, it's linus torvalds. i give his opinion on this subject slightly more weight than yours

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    are you member of church of nvidia?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    it works both ways
    Depends, usually it works only one way

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    "We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver"
    Too easy. Non-proprietary (if you know what that means) drivers are wiser, undebatably.

"giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought"
    Community-created and *almost* full performance is still much more powerful, since the people now _know_ how the drivers work.

"Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done"

Unintelligible.

"You call that "linux-hostile", I call that excellent linux support."

Have a good day.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied

We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver, giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought. Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done.

Haha, another one trying to argue with pal666. Welcome to the club, pal*

*pun intended

Leave a comment:

• Temar
    replied
    i have better question: how people still have money/time/motivation to sponsor most linux-hostile hardware manufacturer
    We sponsor that manufacturer because it is the only one who can provide a full-featured driver, giving you access to the full performance of the hardware you bought. Nvidia just works, we don't have time to play with our operating system, we want to get things done.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    for desktop if people wants to use opensource driver amd is the only alternative for gaming, no point in spending so much money and use opensource nvidia driver, the lack of dynamic clock is big problem for performance and lifetime of a card who always use the maximum freqs. For AMD is about time to give up from non free driver and put all resources in opensource driver like intel (one driver), when they reach the parity of features, opengl 4.5 vulkan vdpau/vaapi and enduro
    It doesn't cost them any money to keep the proprietary driver. Now that AMDGPU is working, the proprietary OpenGL driver is drop in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X