Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

    Phoronix: AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

    AMD this week open-sourced the Advanced Media Framework (AMF) as their replacement to the earlier AMD Media SDK. But before getting too excited about this latest AMD open-source project, there isn't yet any Linux support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...edia-Framework

  • #2
    So it's that time again of AMD open sourcing something new.
    Whats next in line to be released as open source?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      So it's that time again of AMD open sourcing something new.
      Whats next in line to be released as open source?
      I noticed they have a tendency to open-source things that never really took off and they don't care enough about to maintain. Makes sense, but I wish they'd realize ahead of time that some of these projects of theirs failed before they began. Even Nvidia has a hard time doing this, and they have a greater marketshare. I'd rather AMD focus their developers on drivers rather than platform-specific APIs.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope this brings VCE Support to ffmpeg ... nvenc is for a long time in ffmpeg. I only miss the gpu resize patches in the upstream ffmpeg.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I noticed they have a tendency to open-source things that never really took off and they don't care enough about to maintain.
          Good point/observation.

          I wish the private sector to find a way of sending micro-payments to people contributing patches to open-source software used by companies.

          Comment


          • #6
            "a light-weight, portable multimedia framework"
            there isn't yet any Linux support
            Very portable. From the GpuOpen-Site, only Windows is supported.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe they were thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
                I wish the private sector to find a way of sending micro-payments to people contributing patches to open-source software used by companies.
                Ever considered Patreon?

                Comment

                Working...
                X