AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

Phoronix: AMD Open-Sources Advanced Media Framework, But No Linux Support Yet

AMD this week open-sourced the Advanced Media Framework (AMF) as their replacement to the earlier AMD Media SDK. But before getting too excited about this latest AMD open-source project, there isn't yet any Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it's that time again of AMD open sourcing something new.
    Whats next in line to be released as open source?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      So it's that time again of AMD open sourcing something new.
      Whats next in line to be released as open source?
      I noticed they have a tendency to open-source things that never really took off and they don't care enough about to maintain. Makes sense, but I wish they'd realize ahead of time that some of these projects of theirs failed before they began. Even Nvidia has a hard time doing this, and they have a greater marketshare. I'd rather AMD focus their developers on drivers rather than platform-specific APIs.

Comment

I hope this brings VCE Support to ffmpeg ... nvenc is for a long time in ffmpeg. I only miss the gpu resize patches in the upstream ffmpeg.

Comment

"a light-weight, portable multimedia framework"
          there isn't yet any Linux support
          Very portable. From the GpuOpen-Site, only Windows is supported.

Comment

Maybe they were thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
              I wish the private sector to find a way of sending micro-payments to people contributing patches to open-source software used by companies.
              Ever considered Patreon?

Comment

Working...
              X