NVIDIA Provides A Surprise For Pascal GPU Owners Wanting Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I think you should stop equating people groups with your prejudices. And yes, I recommend nouveau. I advocate open source to all people regardless of nationality, religion, skin color, etc.
    That is the same thing, for some groups it might work and for some it might not.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That is the same thing, for some groups it might work and for some it might not.
      All people are people. It's not the same thing.

Comment

So am i wrong if i recommend both AMD open and closed drivers? So that people can choose what they want.

Comment

So am i wrong if i recommend both AMD open and closed drivers? So that people can choose what they want.
          Simply put, Yes.

EDIT: Lets all just force Jews to use Catalyst, that'll teach em' to never touch a computer again! /sarcasm
          Last edited by duby229; 13 July 2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Simply put, Yes.
            But AMD do that same thing for decade now, they are supporting both options

Comment

But AMD do that same thing for decade now, they are supporting both options
              Yeah, it was really stupid of them. But The status quo has finally changed and Catalyst is dead, Mesa is nearly complete, OpenCL and Vulkan will be open sourced eventually. Things are looking very good right now.

Comment

Well Catalyst is not dead yet, they update it in may for FirePro:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...4#catalyst-pro

AMDGPU is not an option for these customers, neither is pro still. And generaly if you want OpenCL 2.0, you must use Catalyst... among other missing features.

So it is more that amdgpu and amdgpu-pro is in development, so in transition period then catalyst is dead Also, amdgpu is just unified approach to serve both options as far as possibile
                Last edited by dungeon; 13 July 2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Interesting, but only supporting Ubuntu 14.04. Even if you replace the controls file to make aticonfig happy i don't see a huge reason to use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X