Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Provides A Surprise For Pascal GPU Owners Wanting Open-Source

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Provides A Surprise For Pascal GPU Owners Wanting Open-Source

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Provides A Surprise For Pascal GPU Owners Wanting Open-Source

    After it took NVIDIA until earlier this year to release the signed firmware for the GeForce GTX 900 "Maxwell" GPUs, I expected -- and based upon what I heard -- that it could be months before seeing the firmware for GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" GPUs in order to enable hardware acceleration with these latest-generation GPUs. Thus it's a huge surprise today to see NVIDIA already making public their Pascal GP100 firmware images!..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GP100-Firmware

  • #2
    Wow, did Nvidia already exceed it's douchebag quota for this FY?

    Comment


    • #3
      Good move on Nvidia's part.

      The GTX-1080 is definitely the flagship GPU for Linux (or any OS) right now and it's nice to see the firmware becoming available for alternative driver setups with minimal delay.

      Comment


      • #4
        They're at least doing something, but a multi whatever dollar company like NVIDIA should do way more to support developement of open drivers like AMD and Intel are doing!

        Comment


        • #5
          Way too little, way too late from NVidia after way too much dirty behaviour.
          I'm still switching to AMD this gen, waiting on some good custom RX 470 or RX 480.

          Comment


          • #6
            Switched today to Fury. nVidia still doing just the minimum. But at least it's something.

            Comment


            • #7
              Is this firmware good for GP10x, or just GP100? GP100 is only used in $4000 data-center compute accelerators, so if the other GP10* cards don't get their firmware, there won't be accelerated Nouveau for them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                They're at least doing something, but a multi whatever dollar company like NVIDIA should do way more to support developement of open drivers like AMD and Intel are doing!
                don't compare intel with nvidia! nvidia have a great closed source driver, intel have a opensource driver, they simple take the work from others and never make the closed one from windows. amd have two bad drivers, once again i can't understand why they don't go with open only since the closed one is really bad.

                Once again nvidia non free drivers are great, the best, at least they provide a good driver not like amd or even intel

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by octra View Post
                  Switched today to Fury. nVidia still doing just the minimum. But at least it's something.
                  Nop, open kernel driver is the minimum. Every other chip maker has one. CPU vendors, GPU vendors, other use ASIC vendors, chipset vendors and goes on. It is unreasonable to need a closed driver for power management.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

                    don't compare intel with nvidia! nvidia have a great closed source driver, intel have a opensource driver, they simple take the work from others and never make the closed one from windows. amd have two bad drivers, once again i can't understand why they don't go with open only since the closed one is really bad.

                    Once again nvidia non free drivers are great, the best, at least they provide a good driver not like amd or even intel
                    Isn't GPU-PRO just a slightly modified AMDGPU driver? As for either being bad, that's definitely not what I've seen, but I'm guessing you aren't up for discussing it with that stance And hopefully you're not referring at all to the dead fglrx?

                    As for NVIDIA, while I can't speak for single-GPU setups, Optimus is a nightmare. Say what you want about AMD's drivers, but at least I can install them without a ton of manual work and reading a novel

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X