• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hm

nvidia do something much better than amd, they provide a good driver

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      You perfectly know their drivers have 3d party intellectual property and NVIDIA's own patents so they cannot release them as open source (AMD also doesn't do that).
      you perfectly know that amd is developing open driver and providing documentation, so put nvidia back into your ass

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        No, they don't provide any driver, whereas AMD are the ones providing a good driver (Not talking about anything kernel-tainting, of course )

Comment

Classy response!

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          you perfectly know that amd is developing open driver and providing documentation, so put nvidia back into your ass
          Classy response. Please ask your therapist about your anger issues.

The reality is if you want high performance, stable graphics on Linux, NV is the only company that has delivered a complete solution for over a decade and supports cards for at least 8 years. AMD's Linux support has been embarrassing in compaison.

Do I wish the NV driver were more open? Sure. But I'm enormously grateful that NV have icommitted to deliver top notch Linux drivers released with their latest hardware, year after year. The only thing AMD have consistently delivered are promises and driver regressions.

Imagine you are running a design business that run numerous graphics workstations using Linux (I have, BTW). Now how how enthusiastic are you about supporting all AMDs regressions, omissions, and awful performance?

Usually I find those that run Linux all the time professionally use NV hardware, and those that run AMD dual boot and are "weekend" open source advocates. Sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            Am I the only one here that doesn't care about Tegra?
            Tegra is important in that it's the first real move towards killing OpenGL ES. In the future, we can have all mobile devices running true OpenGL, breaking an annoying barrier between mobile/desktop development.

Convergence: imagine a phone that you can plugin into a dock and get a full desktop experience, and also plug into your TV and run all your 3D games.

Comment

Well, they get nouveau devs working for them for free...

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                "Plans to keep contributing support for future Tegra SoCs"
                so no real gpu ?
                Tegra has real GPU. K1 has keplar, X1 has maxwell. If Noveau fully support that, then it automatically supports low end cards. And from there, it is easier to support other cards.

Comment

I can admit community likely had completely different experience working with Nvidia. Well expressed by Linus Torvalds and his infamous finger :P.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    The only "little" problem: it lacks integration with system? So:
                    - Plug-n-play? That's not about nvidia cards on x86 CPUs! Download setup.exe (or how they name it these days), launch it, reboot, and then it will work for sure. Sure, MS-DOS style plugnplay rocks, its so 80-ish
                    - Proper integration with system? So you can get kernel debugger, proper boot logo, decent framebuffer consoles, ability to draw panic info? And even without weird bugs here and there? That's not about proprietary blobs for sure.
                    - Its so freakin' cool when you update kernel and then GPU driver fells apart. Because it is foreign kernel module, which is foreign citizen in our land. Nobody of kernel devs cares what would happen to this module. So there're countless pitfalls.
                    - Sure, I like Nvidia changelogs. Like reducing amount of monitors you can use with their drivers and GPUs. It so nice when vendor artifically cripples hardware features in new driver version, screwing up anyone who relied on previously working features.
                    - Once there is bug... kernel guys will give you a finger, due to kernel taint. They are not going to mess with foreign blobs. And it's not like if nvidia warmly welcomes bug reports with some proper bug tracking system either. So it usually happens proprietary stuff users are really on their own once something goes wrong.

Everything in this world haves its price. So "good driver" comes with strings attached.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                      The reality is if you want high performance, stable graphics on Linux, NV is the only company that has delivered a complete solution for over a decade and supports cards for at least 8 years.

Do I wish the NV driver were more open? Sure. But I'm enormously grateful that NV have icommitted to deliver top notch Linux drivers released with their latest hardware, year after year.
                      And yet it's not all that black-and-white. Depends on your specific card... Check the NVIDIA forums and you'll see how many issues people run into with the NVIDIA drivers. My issue is that it tears like nothing else, unless I use a compositor that does full scene repaints every frame. So sure, games run fast and whatnot, but it tears so much it's unplayable (yes, OpenGL VSync doesn't do anything). Or I have to run a compositor, which makes the framerate go down considerably. Meanwhile nouveau? No tearing at any point. But it randomly locks up the GPU. So it's a pick-your-poison situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X