Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Has A "Great Experience" Working With Nouveau Community

Phoronix: NVIDIA Has A "Great Experience" Working With Nouveau Community

Alexandre Courbot spoke at FOSDEM this past weekend about enabling the NVIDIA Tegra K1's "GKA20A" Kepler-based graphics processor with the open-source Nouveau driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While NVIDIA has a great experience working with Nouveau community - Nouveau community does not have such a great experience working with NVIDIA. About right?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
      While NVIDIA has a great experience working with Nouveau community - Nouveau community does not have such a great experience working with NVIDIA. About right?
      yep......

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        I'm sure the nouveau devs were trying to suck up to nvidia so they could maybe have their respect and help them out more than they currently do. Unfortunately if this is true, it just means nvidia's ego will only get stronger, which it really doesn't need to be.

Comment

"Plans to keep contributing support for future Tegra SoCs"
          so no real gpu ?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            "Plans to keep contributing support for future Tegra SoCs"
            so no real gpu ?
            Well, My hope is that it's more inline with getting nouveau devs prepared for how nvidia does things. Like a test run sort of thing.

That's looking at the bright side of things though.

Comment

So when exactly will Tegra Shield tablets be able to run Wayland natively with decent power management and battery lifetime?

Comment

Michael,

I don't understand you.

NVIDIA was bad for not supporting Nouveau, now they are bad for providing some pieces of documentation. You perfectly know their drivers have 3d party intellectual property and NVIDIA's own patents so they cannot release them as open source (AMD also doesn't do that).

Comment

Am I the only one here that doesn't care about Tegra?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I'm sure the nouveau devs were trying to suck up to nvidia so they could maybe have their respect and help them out more than they currently do. Unfortunately if this is true, it just means nvidia's ego will only get stronger, which it really doesn't need to be.
                    Let's hope 3.5gate gives NV the kick in the nuts they've been needing for almost a decade.

Comment

Working...
                    X