X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    My question is not about modem, I just ask: did you notice this post http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...661#post248661 ?
    Sorry, I didn't see the link in your recent post #77; putting the URL in the text helped me find it, thanks.

I did see your earlier post but it's long, it covers a lot of different topics mostly boiling down to "hey spend a bunch more money, OK ?", it includes a question about yet another post, and it's 3AM here.

Q presumably blames Microsoft for the lack of response, which is an interesting hypothesis. I wouldn't even be typing this much if the CO detector hadn't started shrieking in the middle of the night. Guess I closed the damper on the masonry heater a bit too soon
    Last edited by bridgman; 29 January 2012, 04:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure I understand the question. I tried the USR PCI modem about 18 months ago, if that helps.
    My question is not about modem, I just ask: did you notice this post http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...661#post248661 ?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I just interesting did you notice this post?
    Not sure I understand the question. I tried the USR PCI modem about 18 months ago, if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Actually you're proving me right. I tried one of those... worked better than most but still couldn't handle my phone line. Worked fine in Toronto though...
    I just interesting did you notice this post?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    You know, when I started posting here I was interacting with hundreds of different users. Now it just seems to be you and one or two others.

Probably time for a change.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Actually you're proving me right. I tried one of those... worked better than most but still couldn't handle my phone line. Worked fine in Toronto though...

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    (i know this was ironic because then you never write here on Phoronix again because of your fucking windows only modem)
    Try buying a modem that isn't Windows-only that can work with rural phone lines. I tried 5 different modems and only one of them can hold a connection for more than a couple of minutes.

Anyways, I bought a cell modem which can work with Linux. It gets really expensive if I use it much, but at least it's enough to bring down git repos.

Now I just need to get my other PC back from my brother-in-law.
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 January 2012, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    this is just a joke? i buy many Freedos systems for linux for my customers.
    No, this is not the joke. BSA really do that. By the way if you install LibreOffice they count you like a Microsoft Office pirate copy user too.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    influence the OEMs who buy our parts - either buy more Linux preload systems from them
    It's doesn't possible to buy OEM hardware (both of workstation or laptops) with openSUSE (Gnome 3) or Kubuntu. So it doesn't possible to change situation this way, right?

or get the message across that while you are buying Windows systems your intent is to run with Linux and your satisfaction with the product will be driven by your Linux experience.
    Tech. support of OEM/ODM answer about "unsupported OS" and just doesn't listen everything else. Even if we buy laptop with SUSE Enterprise Linux (by HP) tech. support doesn't listen requests about for example Ubuntu. This is the fact.

The good news is that Android might be able to supply those numbers, if we can dance over the fact that the graphics environment (and hence driver requirement) is somewhat different between Android and traditional distros. There are some common areas (eg power management) which can probably be helped though...
    It doesn't change situation for peoples with Gnome 3 or Kubuntu at all. Also there is already bad example with Android - Android drivers for nVidia Tegra at least work, but Linux driver still in poor state. Same with Imagination Technologies driver for PowerVR SGX 535 - Android support doesn't make situation any better for Intel GMA500 owners.
    So I doesn't think this way will work too in AMD case.

I just wonder - how hard for AMD Linux Team part, who working on FGLRX, add support of KDE on Ubuntu? (To make Kubuntu supported) Or Gnome 3 on openSUSE? It all about fixing bugs in OpenGL anyway, right?

About situation around XvBA - no any HighProfile@5 support on Linux (directly via XBMC or via VA-API compatible player). Windows driver have this feature for many years. AMD tech. support employees even doesn't know how to use XvBA on and can not reproduce bug properly - they open video in Totem, think "oh, hardware acceleration is works" (yeah, without installation of libva and xvba packages and GStreamer tuning) and close the ticket with "Resolved" or "Solution provided" status (I need to provide ticket number or you believe my words? ). Even if this ticket about supported distribution (Ubuntu, openSUSE with KDE, etc.) they doesn't provide proper tech. support anyway. Why customers need to teach AMD support about using AMD proprietary driver features in Linux? Is there is no one Linux user in GPU support team at all?

May you please also look into this post?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    i for my self i build my PC by myself and now i know amd only support "OEM" LOL!!! you NEVER count my BUY!

i spend much more money on the SAME PC than other people buying OEM cheap CRAP!

AMD must be stupid!
    Hey, this is great. If I ever need something trivialized and taken out of context now I know who to call.

Q, you really should know better than to post garbage like this. We've PM'ed enough that you know there are a lot of other metrics we look at w.r.t. Linux share and spend. THe original question was "what can influence AMD"... and the weak link in the chain IMO is that we don't get as much "pull" from OEM customers as I would expect based on what I hear from the people who buy their products, and that the pull we do get is entirely for Linux preloads and not systems sold with other OSes but used with Linux.

That makes it seem like the area that most needs attention if you want to see change.
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 January 2012, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X