Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Why then did he resign as Nouveau maintainer?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Part of me hopes we will see Maxwell, Pascal and Volta power management in nouveau soon, even if these are no longer manufactured. GTX 1060 was very influential among the gamer circles.

Good luck at NVIDIA for Ben.

Comment

This is Nvidia adopting EEE, specifically the Extinguish part being amplified significantly.

Now being an insider and over time will gain inside knowledge, he can never contribute to Nouveau again without certain legal troubles which Nvidia is assuredly to use to enforce compliance. It's setting the stage for lawfare - use of the law in what is an otherwise perfectly legal way but to stifle innovation.

Let them hire a few more Nouveau devs, this is check mate.

Personally, I wish him the best of luck, I hope it is worth it for him in the long run.

Comment

This smells very weird. I always felt Nvidia is another (evil) megacorp. No Corp is "good" at all, anyway.

I really hope someday very advanced chip manufacturing would be as easy as cooking an omelette. Then this worldwide oligopoly will end.

Comment

Originally posted by cend View Post
            Part of me hopes we will see Maxwell, Pascal and Volta power management in nouveau soon, even if these are no longer manufactured. GTX 1060 was very influential among the gamer circles.

Good luck at NVIDIA for Ben.
            Hardly likely NVIDIA would allocate resources to very old GPUs.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well, I'm conflicted about this. I hope the best for Ben and congratulate him on his new job... But we all -know- who nVidia is and this is quite obviously EEE all over again...

Comment

If Red Hat wasn't a pile of trash in the first place, maybe he wouldn't have left. Stop blaming Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  If Red Hat wasn't a pile of trash in the first place, maybe he wouldn't have left. Stop blaming Nvidia.
                  Redhat as an open source community member vs nVidia as an open source community member....

Redhat=1001
                  nVidia=2

EDIT: You don't remember why Nouveau was created in the first place do you? Let me remind you about nv...

Last edited by duby229; 17 April 2024, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Lots of typical low brow Phoronix comments. "Herp derp...EEE!". NVIDIA doesn't need to hire Skeggs to cripple Nouveau for older cards. It was already nearly useless for Maxwell / Pascal, and not for lack of trying by Skeggs and others. The situation for those cards isn't likely to change. NVIDIA doesn't care about that. What they do care about is making the open source drivers for GSP enabled GPUs as good as possible (and probably much more so on the enterprise / GPU compute side). Hence hiring Skeggs.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                      Lots of typical low brow Phoronix comments. "Herp derp...EEE!". NVIDIA doesn't need to hire Skeggs to cripple Nouveau for older cards. It was already nearly useless for Maxwell / Pascal, and not for lack of trying by Skeggs and others. The situation for those cards isn't likely to change. NVIDIA doesn't care about that. What they do care about is making the open source drivers for GSP enabled GPUs as good as possible (and probably much more so on the enterprise / GPU compute side). Hence hiring Skeggs.
                      That seems like a claim that needs proof. They have a wide and varied history that is well documented. Claiming that nVidia wants a good open source driver for their enterprise customers sounds asinine to me... Every move they've ever made contradicts that intention.

EDIT: nVidia -did- have an in house open source driver and by every single metric it was bad. It was the entire reason why nouveau was forked from it in the first place. Nvidia has spent every possible opportunity to sabotage it since then. Lately nVidia has been failing to do so...

EDIT: The actual truth is, and facts back this up, if nVidia had their way there wouldn't be any open source nvidia driver at all. Hence why they hired Ben Skeggs...

EDIT: If nVidia actually wanted good open source drivers for compute, then they would document their architecture and release the souce for hardware compilers.... But that'll never happen... Not ever...
                      Last edited by duby229; 17 April 2024, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X