Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the GPU graphical part becomes less and less essential and interesting for Nvidia.
    AI and compute are much higher priorities and interest for them from now on.
    That's why they might become less and less horrible with opening their tech for display drivers.

Comment

If Nvidia actually starts to become FOSS-friendly AMD is dead on arrival. AMD's ace up its sleeve has always been its embrace of FOSS, they lose a lot of the value proposition if nvidia stops being toxic to the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
        I'm interested in only one thing. The hell will my old card ever work with Nouveau like it does with the Nvidia driver? If so, I continue to bless him.

However, I don't think anyone will do it anymore. Probably because of the license.
        So all you have to do is buy a new card.​
        I went down that route years ago (ok, it was a used new card), and after being burned by very low quality ATI drivers in the past, I can tell that since many years, AMD provides a pretty decent "out of the box"-experience. Unless your card isn't to new for your distribution, you just plug it in, make sure you have the non-free-firmware from AMD loaded, and it will run flawless. Now I'm sitting on a bunch of useless, worthless old Nvidia-Cards.
        Of course, If you need Nvidia-specific features like CUDA, you are on your own. Otherwise, switch to AMD (or maybe Intel, although I have no experience with their add-in-cards myself).

Comment

I think they're just so drunk on AI money they can't even be bothered being evil

The fights of NVIDIA from two trillion dollars ago probably don't feel too important
          Last edited by Iksf; 17 April 2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

ZLUDE is so awesome that Nvidia changed licensing to ban using it. And, I have it.

Real theat, there
            Smells like monopolistic behavior. EU and US should look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

I don't think nVidia's behavior seems monopolistic. What they do is called cross subsidization, which could be illegal in some scenarios, but I don't think it is in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't think nVidia's behavior seems monopolistic. What they do is called cross subsidization, which could be illegal in some scenarios, but I don't think it is in this case.
                  I have a different POV, but I'm european...

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Their main given reason for keeping the driver closed is because they wanted feature parity with the windows driver (which was always bullshit because it's never had that
                    This isn't due to a lack of trying but rather Linux being behind Windows in the areas where there isn't parity OR providing feature parity would involve having to modify they kernel which is a no go to begin with unless you want NVidia force their own version of Linux kernel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post
                      The fact that he is working for Nvidia doesn't mean that he has access to the driver source code. You don't know his contract or working environment. The other point is that he may not have access to the code, but may have access to internal schematics or documentation which can be used.
                      I can't believe so many Phoronix "wise guys" have missed this. NVidia could have easily hired him in a separate department that has zero access to any of the source code for the binary drivers and if there are any legal issues its NVidia shooting its own foot then since hes employed there.

Comment

Working...
                      X